Tanix TX6

• Official Post

ukmark62 That seems fine.

Are following lines continuously being repeated or they stop after some time?

[  OK  ] Started Kodi Media Center.

[  OK  ] Stopped Kodi Media Center.

If not, are you sure you correctly identified TX pin?

One thing you can try at this point is to recreate SD card. Burn image again, overwrite U-Boot and fix DT before first boot. It's possible that something was stored at first boot which doesn't match anymore, like board name.

• Those lines repeat indefinitely after about every 5 seconds. I swapped the TX pin and now I can enter "dmesg", enter and I get a response. However, when I type "dmesg" it shows up as "ddmmeessgg". So it looks like TX pin was in wrong place on H6 board. New log:-

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• This is output from "dmesg" (or rather "ddmmeessgg" :)

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Here is kodi.log. Lines are truncated.

• unfortuantely, that doesn't help much. Can you try using cat instead? I need full log.

Hope this one's better:-

• ukmark62 Can you test this image?

libreelec-h6.arm-9.1-devel-20190615163837-0b86f08-tanix_tx6.img.gz

Correct DT is already included, but you still need to overwrite U-Boot. I disabled frequency scaling in GPU driver. It usually requires adjustable GPU voltage regulator, which is not present in this box.

Aye Aye Captain,

We have lift off! Well done sir!! Amazing how quick you got the box running. Wifi via USB adapter is working (on board wifi not detected). HW decoding is active on few HEVC and H.264 files I have tested so far - playback looks good although not smooth due to no refresh rates being available (see 1 below). GUI is responsive and skip forward, backwards,fast forward, rewind while watching videos is very responsive. Great stuff!

I have done some quick testing and there are 2 noticeable issues:-

1 Display resolution is limited to 1024x768 and below. Only 60hz frequencies available

2 No sound (I notice on initial bootup that a "FAILED:Pulse Audio Driver not installed" message showed up. However it has not shown up since I've rebooted again. However, still no audio.

I SSH'ed into box and Kodi log is attached kodi.log

• Official Post

1 Display resolution is limited to 1024x768 and below. Only 60hz frequencies available

2 No sound (I notice on initial bootup that a "FAILED:Pulse Audio Driver not installed" message showed up. However it has not shown up since I've rebooted again. However, still no audio.

I'll fix this with next image, which will also have proper U-Boot included.

Image will have at least two issues - no wifi and no ethernet. I will fix ethernet after I receive my box, but wifi will be hard. Apparently, there are two variants of the box. One with Realtek SDIO wifi module with no open source drivers and another one with PCIE wifi module. PCIE on H6 is quirky and driver may never be properly included in mainline Linux.

• I'll fix this with next image, which will also have proper U-Boot included.

Image will have at least two issues - no wifi and no ethernet. I will fix ethernet after I receive my box, but wifi will be hard. Apparently, there are two variants of the box. One with Realtek SDIO wifi module with no open source drivers and another one with PCIE wifi module. PCIE on H6 is quirky and driver may never be properly included in mainline Linux.

I would think that if a USB wifi adapter works then most people would be happy with that.

Do you need me to send you any files?

• Official Post

ukmark62 please test this image: libreelec-h6.arm-9.1-devel-20190615175620-0b86f08-tanix_tx6.img.gz

It should have proper U-Boot already, so you just burn it on SD card and try right away. I also fixed resolution detection and HDMI audio. STB has additional pin which has to be enabled in order to correctly read EDID.

USB3 also doesn't work yet. Anyway, if this works as intended so far, I'll stop right here until I receive my box.

If you are curious, I uploaded LibreELEC changes here: Commits · jernejsk/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

• ukmark62 please test this image: libreelec-h6.arm-9.1-devel-20190615175620-0b86f08-tanix_tx6.img.gz

It should have proper U-Boot already, so you just burn it on SD card and try right away. I also fixed resolution detection and HDMI audio. STB has additional pin which has to be enabled in order to correctly read EDID.

USB3 also doesn't work yet. Anyway, if this works as intended so far, I'll stop right here until I receive my box.

If you are curious, I uploaded LibreELEC changes here: Commits · jernejsk/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

Thanks much.

One more thing I noticed was that the RAM in Kodi shows as 3gb. I remember you saying there was some limit on RAM, but there was a hack to get it to show/use 4gb RAM??

I'll try the new image now. Thx again!

• Official Post

One more thing I noticed was that the RAM in Kodi shows as 3gb. I remember you saying there was some limit on RAM, but there was a hack to get it to show/use 4gb RAM??

H6 is only capable to address 3GiB of RAM. It has 32-bit address space and lower 1 GiB is reserved for memory mapped peripherals. Take another look at serial output. SPL DRAM driver will correctly report 4 GiB of RAM, because so much of RAM is physically present. However, U-Boot will report 3 GiB of RAM, because so much can be really used.

No one really knows if there is a way to use that 1 GiB of RAM. It certainly can't be directly addressed.

• 3gb of ram is plenty for LibreELEC.

Tried the new image. Audio is working. However, cannot play any video and cannot change resolution. The list of available resolutions now includes up to 4k, but if I try to select 1920x1080p for example, the screen blacks out for some seconds, then comes back at the old resolution (which is now defaulting to 720x480p @60hz). Also when playing a video, the same happens, screen blacks out for a long time and have to press remote buttons to get the screen back.

Also, notice crackling coming from TV during boot and 4k resolutions above 30hz are not available.

Debug logs attached. Thx

kodi.change.resolution.debug.log

kodi.playback.debug.log

This is not at all urgent - maybe wait till you get the TX6 box.

Edited once, last by ukmark62 (June 15, 2019 at 6:58 PM).