Nightly images for A64, H3, H5, H6 and R40 boards

• vermus I suspect it's some kind of GPU driver issue. On my A20 board (olinuxino-micro) Kodi opens as expected. I noticed that Cubietruck has 2 GiB of RAM. More than 1 GiB of RAM already caused issues on other SoCs due to not completely understood HW design. Can you add mem=1G to kernel parameter in extlinux/extlinux.conf and check if that helps?

BTW, next time please upload whole crashlog. You stripped out basically all useful information.

• Can you add mem=1G to kernel parameter in extlinux/extlinux.conf and check if that helps?

BTW, next time please upload whole crashlog. You stripped out basically all useful information.

Thanks!

Nothing has changed.

I created new sd card and there are no kodi_crash.log now. Only kodi.log:

http://ix.io/28Ux

(still black screen after Reached target Kodi Mediacenter interface)

• vermus Kodi log is clean, no issue. Is something interesting reported in dmesg? At this point I don't know what to suggest. Maybe Lima driver would work.

http://ix.io/28Xk (nightly dmesg)

http://ix.io/28Xm (after reboot dmesg)

http://ix.io/28Xo (lsmod)

It's look like
    1) Video output is going to wrong way

or
    2) Video hw acceleration fail

so:
    1) where can I find xorg.log (I tried to find it, but no success)?
    2) Can I run kodi w\o hw acceleration?

is the following ok?

Code
    Mali GP: Failed to stop bus on Mali_GP

Update. I have asked Cubietruck owners to test libreelec images - so he has got the same issue OFFTOP Android TV on CubieTruck (A20) - General chit chat - Armbian forum .

Edited 3 times, last by vermus (February 2, 2020 at 8:56 AM).

• Ok, same issue then. There is something wrong with GPU driver. Lima might not have this issue, idk.

It's look like
    1) Video output is going to wrong way

or
    2) Video hw acceleration fail

so:
    1) where can I find xorg.log (I tried to find it, but no success)?
    2) Can I run kodi w\o hw acceleration?

Let's clear some things first. A20 has Mali400 GPU. Mali is only 3D accelerator and has nothing to do with video decoding. There are two drivers for Mali400 - proprietary Mali driver from ARM, which is currently used on LibreELEC for A20. Another one, relatively fresh, completely open source is Lima driver. Only recently it became good enough to be useful for LibreELEC, but I didn't switch to it at this time. Video decoding is done on separate core called Video Engine and open source driver for it is called Cedrus (used here).

So, let me answer your questions:

1. X11 is not used at all on LibreELEC for ARM boards. I'm not sure if it would be even possible to make efficient video playback with it. GBM version of Kodi is used for A20, which communicates directly with DRM driver.

2. You can disable video decoding acceleration in Kodi settings. However, as I explained before, this wouldn't change anything, because issue is in Mali driver, not Cedrus.

Only thing which may change anything is switch to Lima driver. However, there is zero guarantee that it would help and given that it's under heavy development it may have different set of issues.

• Only thing which may change anything is switch to Lima driver. However, there is zero guarantee that it would help and given that it's under heavy development it may have different set of issues.

Sorry for a dumb question, but how can I do it?

Thank you very much for the explanation.

• I finally managed to prepare proof of concept (not yet bug free) support for HW deinterlacing. Currently, it's only for H3. You can test this with following update: LibreELEC-H3.arm-9.80-devel-20200202224107-87919a4-deint.tar

I'm especially interested in Kodi crashes and if there is any interlaced video, which can't be played. For example, if Kodi shows only first few frames and then stops.

Source: GitHub - jernejsk/LibreELEC.tv at deint

• I finally managed to prepare proof of concept (not yet bug free) support for HW deinterlacing. Currently, it's only for H3. You can test this with following update: LibreELEC-H3.arm-9.80-devel-20200202224107-87919a4-deint.tar

I'm especially interested in Kodi crashes and if there is any interlaced video, which can't be played. For example, if Kodi shows only first few frames and then stops.

Source: GitHub - jernejsk/LibreELEC.tv at deint

I just very briefly testet it last night with zattoo streams, seems all is working, but had the feeling its slightly less smooth than before. But have to properly test and watch a bit longer than just zapping channels...

• I just very briefly testet it last night with zattoo streams, seems all is working, but had the feeling its slightly less smooth than before. But have to properly test and watch a bit longer than just zapping channels...

So far it's running for half an hour with one channel change. Rock solid maybe slightly flaky but that's just subjective.

With this build i got quite a few websocket disconnects on the web remote, but I'm not at all sure if it's related, as I usually use a proper remote, unless i misplace it...

• So far it's running for half an hour with one channel change. Rock solid maybe slightly flaky but that's just subjective.

I did some more testing on my collection of "problematic" videos I obtained trough the years and I get audio/video sync issues... I think ffmpeg deinterlace filter I wrote is not good enough yet. It certainly causes occasional Kodi crash. I guess I'll leave this image here until I fix all issues. Anyway, this branch contains one fix which I'll plan to PR it to Kodi, because it fixes other de-sync issues I had from the beginning but I had no idea what causes them.

• I did some more testing on my collection of "problematic" videos I obtained trough the years and I get audio/video sync issues... I think ffmpeg deinterlace filter I wrote is not good enough yet. It certainly causes occasional Kodi crash. I guess I'll leave this image here until I fix all issues. Anyway, this branch contains one fix which I'll plan to PR it to Kodi, because it fixes other de-sync issues I had from the beginning but I had no idea what causes them.

In that case I'm lucky... My daughter is still watching the kids programme and so far no complaints at all.

Poor guinea pig ;)

• I got the impression that all my samples so far are not interlaced, so i tried playing a known interlaced dvd. And found out that im unable to play DVDs.

In dmesg I can't see any device node added for the dvd, which gets enumerated as usb mass storage.

Is this a missing driver or something else?

• I've built an image for OrangePi Lite 2, based on prabuselva's work for PR#3691 (commit 5d209c), which I locally merged with yesterdays master (commit be02e12). No other modifications. In case anyone has that board and wants to avoid building it from scratch ( daviddgm), I've put the image on my google drive. Be reminded that this build is not official and probably entirely unsupported (at least I can give neither support nor any warranty - if this kills your board or cat, or burns down your house, well,... that's bad luck). All I did was the equivalent of grabbing some instant noodles, adding water and letting it boil according to the manual ;)

Hi. I download your firmware and test it. Driver for wifi lite2 done. But after connecting to the access point, there is no access to the Internet, nor is it possible to get ssh access from the local network. Apparently some problems with the network interface settings inside the firmware. Also, for the sake of the test, I connected an additional wifi dongle. The situation is similar with the built-in. If possible, tell us where to dig and where to look.

For everyone: you May have a fully working firmware for lite2 - please share it.

• Is this external DVD device or just DVD files on USB stick?

No its a usb dvd drive with a real disc.

I just cross checked with my rpi, once i managed to solve the power issues inherent to this board, the dvd starts up und adisc menu entry in kodi appears, the dvd appears in dmesg as being assigned to /dev/sr0 i didn't try playing anything seriously, as there are too many low voltage light ing symbols still now... But the movie studio logo played.

So I think it might be a missing driver?

Edit: it doesn't seem to be a module on rpi, as lsmod shows only very few brcm specific modules, nothing usb related at all.

Edited 2 times, last by lumpi (February 6, 2020 at 9:25 PM).