Constant Disk Activity -

• Hi Community.

I'm having quite an issue with my generic libreELEC setup, using an i3 gigabyte brix with several external hdds attached.

A few weeks ago two of them failed shortly after another, and the majority of my media library died with them.

Monitoring the disk usage, i found that the attached hdd's are constantly in use, with writes of 20 to 50 KB/s, even when I stop the kodi process.

The disk usage drops when I stop the (idle) Plex container.

Since i am running the rig 24/7, i was wondering whether there are any power-management options available?

Thanks for your help!

• Official Post

The disk usage drops when I stop the (idle) Plex container.

There are hdparm options in Linux, but if the Plex container remains that that active, I don't see hdparm as a solution.

Kodi itself only checks on HDD's during a skin refresh or actual library maintenance. During idle, the HDDs should be able to go sleep, unless there are more processes going on in the background.

• Hi Klujum,

Thanks for your comment.

Killing the Plex container ended the disk writes, but I also have all of PMSs auto update functions enabled

Yet, the external disks (2,5", USB powered) keep spinning with flashing diodes even after I completely shutdown the device.

Tonight i'm going to have a look at the BIOS options and maybe try a different PSU.