Rock Pi 4 - Findings so Far

• So couple of findings so far :

1 Takes a good 50 seconds to boot

2. Stopping a playing video hangs for around 5 seconds

3. Bookmarks creation forces video out of sync (Rock Pi4 and Bookmarks)

4. Deinterlacing settings seems to be greyed out ?

5. I know Raspberry PI used to use hardware for video decoding with Liebre will Rock Pi 4 have its own HW Video decoding ?

• Klojum - ok ... so does the Rick Pi 4 then ?

Deinterlacing happens automatically, the settings that are greyed out are for software decoding, not hardware decoding that is used on all RK3399 devices.

Yes Rock Pi 4 supports H264, H265 and VP9 hardware accelerated video playback.

The bookmarks problem is a Kodi problem that will most likely be fixed by Kodi Team.

• mo123,

Thanks ... so there are no longer settings for Deinterlacing ? I mean it seems like it is doing a decent job and I always left the pi on AUTO (Half blob and the others) anyway but I only did this on media that needed it .. so does teh RK3399 auto detect if it needs to Deinterlace ??

1 Takes a good 50 seconds to boot ??

2. Stopping a playing video hangs for around 5 seconds ??

• Deinterlace is configurable under Open-GL (on x86 hardware) but not when using Open-GLES (on ARM chips). They are distinct and quite different ways to render video on-screen.

If things take 50 seconds to boot there's an issue somewhere. Sharing the systemd journal log after boot should show where the delay is; unless the issue is in u-boot before the kernel/system (which generate the boot log) run.

Please understand that RK development is "work in progress" and far from complete. Playback glitches should be expected.

• Noticed an ODD Playback Speed (very slight) Change on certain movement scenes on MPEG2 video.

"work in progress" - Just a question on that and its libreelec one really.

Who is working on it for Rockchip? one man a team .... I mean for the PI 2/3 releases they just kept getting better and better but assume there are a lot of people using Pi's so could the ROCKCHIP support drop off I mean ?

I know V4L will normalise devs but will that "simply" work across all builds ?

• Kodi GBM/V4L2 support is still in a fluid state as the underlying changes to Linux kernel things aren't cast in stone yet, but at some point they will become a more static target, and from that point forwards change becomes much easier to manage. Support on the Kodi side really comes down to GBM/V4L2 providing a single code-path into FFmpeg which handles a small number of different code-paths (stateless, statefull, vaapi) depending on which SOC or GPU hardware is being used. There are 5-6 developers actively working on that area of code; roughly representing RK, Allwinner (stateless) and Amlogic, Raspberry Pi (statefull) and Intel/AMD (vaapi) interfaces. Once you drop lower in the stack to the kernel driver code things appear to be more of a one-man effort because kernel DRM drivers tend to have a primary maintainer driving things forwards, but in all cases there's a community of other developers actively testing and contributing towards that driver and the surrounding stack. LE tends to have a single developer 'representative' among a group of developers working on code and influencing direction. We actively and successfully position Kodi as a fun and useful test application, and since many of the community developers have competing professional or commercial interests we often fulfil a role as a neutral test-case and it's common to see "good Kodi support" somewhere on the written agenda for V4L2 graphics initiatives.

Rockchip (and others) are in limbo at the moment while we wait for some upstream kernel changes to land. This is completely out of our control but it will happen (as big companies like Intel need it to) and then we'll start to show progress again. Raspberry Pi and its legion of supporters are ultimately dependent on the same changes and will also be moving wholesale to the Kodi GBM/V4L2 stack for LE10. Many things become interconnected in a way that makes it impossible to promise that Rockchip support will not drop off, but equally these changes makes it fundamentally more improbable this this will occur :)

• chewitt , a thorough and informative response as ever, Thank you Sir!

Not sure if this is the place for this but SCRIPTS/addons that Kodi uses (Files...)

Will these run well on Rock/Librea distros I assume most of these use Python so should just "work" ??