Add-on for Surveillance with USB Camera

• Hello,

I'm looking for a simple surveillance add-on. I want to connect a USB camera (Webcam) to my Raspberry Pi 3 (Model B) and record the video and have it saved on a connected USB stick.

I know there are some surveillance add-ons, but I do NOT want any IP Cameras or stream cameras. I want nothing to be streamed. Just the Pi and the camera recording and the only access to the files is directly from the stick.

I tried the motioneyeOS, but it did not work quiet well for me, it recorded the video yes, but there was no audio and the quality was really bad and the frames worse. (yes I changed the settings to 1080p and 30 fps but the actual outcome of the video file was like 4-5 fps). And I did not like so much, that you could only access it through your web browser.

And I would like to keep my Kodi.

So I’m looking for an add-on, which will record the video/audio from the USB camera and save the file on the stick. The Video setting should be 1080p 30 fps and created files 60 minutes long. So after one hour the video file is completed and saved and the next file created. Would be nice if the file-names contain the date and time.

English is not my native so I hope it was not too bad and you understood what I meant :)

thanks

• Probably it won't work without your camera drivers...but you can always use a picamera and rpi-tools addon from libreelec repo have a look here and here then use something like tvheadened server to record your camera..

Never tried it myself so no idea how to setup stream url etc...just an idea so you have something to begin with..

Edited once, last by Mario77 (March 13, 2019 at 3:32 PM).

• thanks for your answer. I just went through tvheadend and its a nice looking tool, but I can't see how it will help me here. maybe there is a way to import the camera as a source, but I couldn't find any.

thought of a little script sofar but its not working

Bash
    #!/bin/bash
    nowx=`date '+%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M'`
    filenamex="/home/output$nowx.mkv"
    ffmpeg -f v4l2 -t 01:00:00 -framerate 30 -video_size 1920x1080 -i /dev/video0 $filenamex

I installed the FFmpeg Tools from the libreelec repository, but it still says "ffmpeg not found"

/edit: credits for the script are not mine, someone else is trying to help me, I'm really a total noob here :S

• motioneye OS got loads of drivers for different cameras...so if you got the images you should get even a stream of your connected camera..

I doubt LE got any camera support besides the Pi Camera

• With a Picamera you have more chance of achieving what you want..but give it some time..hopefully someone more experienced will give you more info..