Just some observations after upgrading to LE 9.0.1 (Generic x86_64)

• Hi there,

I have been running LE 8.9.x (and recently upgraded to 9.01) for some while on my x86_64 with a GeForce GT520M GPU (Xtreamer Ultra 2). I recently noticed that;

- The CPU and GPU where running 22-25 degrees C higher in idle mode

- Subtitle positions (or screen adjustments if not setting the TV on scan only) did not persistently store the changed settings, they were gone after each reboot. (Probably a separate issue from the overheating)
    - Due to the severe overheating the USB ports also stopped functioning properly as a side-effect.

What I don't know is when the overheating started, the system seemed work OK on the earlier 8.9.x RC builds. Anyway, once I rolled back to LE 8.2.5 the CPU and GPU dropped back from 95C to roughly 70C (it's a passive cooled unit)

Has anyone experienced similar overheating issues?

• Could you upload your logfile zips? Your GT520M uses the 340.107 Nvidia driver which should be pretty stable while the Atom D2700 CPU should be well supported too but lacks EIST so no Speedstep support. :/

The device is running into the thermal limit when it's idle or while you watch anything?

EDIT:

LE 8.2.5 used 390.42 which also supports the GT 520M so it might be a regression with the older 340.107 driver.

• Thanks for your response!

I will have to install 9.0.1 again because I did capture some debug logs while I was checking why the subtitles position didn't retain its setting but I didn't save those logs and did a clean install with 8.2.5 yesterday to ensure no remnant configuration was left.

I will re-install 9.0.1 later this week when I have some more time and will upload some debug logs. :)

ps. Yes, it was running extremely hot 92-95C on idle (using stock Estuary theme). Normally I would hit 90C for playing 1080p content.

• Official Post

70 dgrs Celsius for a passive Nvidia card in idle is way too much to begin with. But then agin, the Xtreamer is a small, packed box that doesn't allow much for airflow with a single small (screaming?) fan. I know that mobile cpu's can take much heat, but you can boil water with 95C.

As a comparison, I've had a passive GT520 that idled around the 47 dgrs in a normal micro-tower case. Playing videos made it go to some 60 dgrs max. The same goes for a GT1030, which is some 6 dgrs cooler. Also a GTX950's fans will not turn when running Kodi in idle.

• I hear what you are saying but you are comparing apples to oranges. The GT520M is not a desktop GPU, nor does it have the same type of cooling.

While 70 degrees Celcius is warm, it anything but critical -- The machine ran idle like that for years, quite happily so.

If one wanted to make a fair comparison I would have to add a decent heat sink and fan like any normal desktop GPU, which would drive down the temperature easily down by another 15-20C, putting it right at the level of where your micro-tower based unit is at.

Anyways, the bigger issue here seems the excessive idle temperature on Kodi 18.x/LE 9.0.1. The 95C (or 70-75C when there was desktop GPU cooling in place) range temperatures are more the ones I would expect when putting the GPU to task with a heavy load.

• Klojum
    Well if temperatures are okay with LE 8.2.5 there must be a reason why they are much higher now regardless if 70°C are pretty high for idle load or not. :/

What's your clock speed when you reach the thermal limit? Or is the clock speed completely fixed at your Atom D2700?

• Actually I have no clue about that but if it's idle there should be much demand. I mean we're talking about rendering a menu which should be done by the GPU anyway...:/

• The 9.0.1 image won't even boot on my Xtreamer Ultra 2 which is currently running 8.2.5. After the bootloader the screen stays black forever (no splash screen). The same USB stick boots fine in a different box.

Edited once, last by regarden (April 24, 2019 at 8:07 PM).

• recently upgraded to 9.01) for some while on my x86_64 with a GeForce GT520M GPU (Xtreamer Ultra 2). I recently noticed that;

- Subtitle positions (or screen adjustments if not setting the TV on scan only) did not persistently store the changed settings, they were gone after each reboot.

I have the same problem, need to adjust the screen settings after every reboot. didn't notice/check the temp.

Same build, also Xtreamer ultra 2.

Is there a fix for this problem?

• I still can't boot v9 from stick, just tried the recent v9.0.2 which exhibits the same problem (black screen). Inplace upgrade from 8.2.5 worked here as well. I haven't yet checked screen settings or GPU temperature.

• In idle CPU and GPU temperature drop to 54°C and 55°C respectively which seems fine to me (although I can't remember what they were in v8.2.5), but I would guess about the same.