Using both HDMI and analogue audio sync problem

• Hi,

I've just connected a audio system via the line out on the raspberry pi on my setup.

I would like to still have audio going to me TV through hdmi because I don't always want the bass thumping when watching normal TV or TV shows but I will use it for movies and music.

So what I have done is gone into system settings then audio and I've selected both analogue and hdmi.

The problem is one of them is very slightly out of sync with the other so it causes a echo effect.

Is there anything I can change to prevent this.

Thanks in advance

Rob

• Official Post

I think it's not an LE problem. Both audio signals leave the RPi at the same time, but HDMI needs additional processing time on the target device. You maybe have a chance to grab analog in-sync audio from that target device.

• Unfortunately my smart TV doesn't have any type of analogue out :(

That's why I have tried setting up the way I have.

It makes sense though as it is my TV that has the slight delay.

I suppose if there is nothing I can do to prevent this I'll just have to leave both analogue and hdmi enabled but turn the volume down on my TV whilst using the audio system via analogue.

Thanks

Rob

• Official Post

You could use an HDMI audio extractor: One HDMI input, one HDMI output, one analog audio output. Something like this.

The extractor should be connected to a second HDMI port on your TV, not on your RPi (wouldn't solve the out-of-sync).

If the second TV HDMI port works in path-through mode, the analog audio hopefully gets the right delay time to be in-sync.

• Already tried one of them as I have one on another project.

My TV has something called arc which is suppose to pass audio over hdmi to a audio device.

I connected it to the hdmi labelled arc and selected my TV audio output to arc.

Unfortunately I get no sound at all although it must have done something as when selecting arc as my audio output my sub made a quick boom noise, usually the noise when you switch on a device connected to it.

Suppose my only other option is a Bluetooth to audio adapter as my TV has Bluetooth.

It's just annoying that modern TVs don't come with a simple line out or headphone socket these days.

Thanks

Rob

• Official Post

Unfortunately I get no sound at all although it must have done something as when selecting arc as my audio output my sub made a quick boom noise, usually the noise when you switch on a device connected to it.

You can try 2.0 channels on the LE audio settings (if not already selected). Maybe the extractor only works that way.