LCDproc - not working after update to Leia (Generic)

• Hi,

I am using Libreelec on PC (generic build).
    Have been using it for a long time, and it was working without problems.

I have a hd44780 connected through lcd2usb, and that also worked without problems.

However, now after upgrading to version 9.0 (leia) the LCD stopped working.
    In the hardware log I can see that the display has been detected as product LCD2USB:
    Bus 003 Device 004: ID 0403:c630 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd lcd2usb interface
    idProduct 0xc630 lcd2usb interface

I have updated the addons: LCDproc and XBMC LCDproc.
    Copied my saved LCD.xml to userdata.

Next, I checked the LCDd.conf in: LibreELEC:~/.kodi/addons/http://service.lcdd/config/

What I noticed there is that the LCDproc addon did not update various settings, among which the Driver type, which was still set to curses instead of hd44780.

Since I also had a backup of LCDd.conf I also copied those settings back, but still the display doesn't work.

In the kodi log I see the addons being loaded:

19:29:32.680 T:140692642236544 NOTICE: ADDON: script.xbmc.lcdproc v3.0.3 installed
    19:29:32.680 T:140692642236544 NOTICE: ADDON: service.lcdd v9.0.107 installed

However XBMC LCDproc can't connect to LCDproc:

19:29:35.198 T:140691476817664 ERROR: ### [XBMC LCDproc] - Connect: Caught exception, aborting.

19:29:35.198 T:140691476817664 ERROR: ### [XBMC LCDproc] - Connect failed. Retry in 4 seconds.

In the settings of XBMC LCDproc I set to connect to 127.0.0.1 (the same as how it used to work).
    So I think that it can't connect to LCDproc because LCDproc is not starting properly.

Either not starting at all, or using the wrong driver.

When I try to start LCDd manually on the commandline I tried to manually add the driver and the config file, but it still doesn't work.
    It gives me the message that it tries to load LCDd.conf from the default LCDd.conf location, which is located in the read-only part of the filesystem.
    So as workaround I also can't update that config file with my settings.

Anyone has an idea how to fix this?
    Is there something I am missing? Or should I try to mount the read only filesystem, change the LCDd.conf file and rebuild the file?

Thanks for any assistance :)

• update.

I checked in ~/.kodi/addons/http://service.lcdd/bin/ the file lcdd.start

there are some directory and variables in there, and I tried

to read out the values of those variables with

echo $ADDON_HOME

echo $ADDON_DIR

echo $LCDCONF $LCD_DRIVER

but it shows nothing.

So probably because they haven't been filled yet.

I also see a reference to a program called oe_setup_addon

I am just not sure what that program does... Does anyone know what that program is for?

Also, what should those variables; $ADDON_HOME, $ADDON_DIR point to?

Is $ADDON_DIR the directory of this addon, or the top directory of all addons?

Sames question for $ADDON_HOME...

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction :)

• when I restart the XBMC lcdproc addon after starting LCDd manually, my display works like before again, all functionality is back and it is working as it should :)

now just have to figure out why the LCDproc addon is not working as it should, and how to fix that...

anyone any idea? :)