Support for TP-Link T4U V3

• Hi! I have read the forum for any kind of support for TP-Link Archer T4U. It seems that V2 model works perfectly fine, as below:

TPLink Archer T4U (v2 - AC1300) issue

I have bought V3 model that it has no any working kernel modules. It is listed under lsusb as TP-Link and under usb-devices as Realtek with no driver attached.

I've found a working driver here:

GitHub - EntropicEffect/rtl8822bu: RTL8822BU Wireless Driver for Linux

Is there a chance to add V3 drivers to LE?

Edited 2 times, last by norbi113 (February 14, 2019 at 12:58 PM).

• Our definition of a working driver is "doesn't need another out of tree realtek driver to be added" .. and since we plan to drop support for all wifi devices that don't have in-kernel drivers in LE 10.0 we're aren't in a rush to add more of them now.

• Hi,

Fully understand your frustration with Realtek and I'm also pretty annoyed that one version works then they change the version or chipset and it ceases to work. Having said that I'm also keen on seeing if I can get this thing to work myself, if possible. I am almost a Linux newbie, but have read a lot, just got stuck now.

I can make the changes to the Makefile driver referenced above when I put it on my Windows desktop but I wasn't sure where (in which directory) to put the downloaded (and amended) directory on the Raspberry Pi. I was then going to run "make" and "sudo make install" as instructed on github.

Code
    LibreELEC (official): 9.0.1 (RPi2.arm)
    QTPi2:~ # lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0cf3:7015 Qualcomm Atheros Communications TP-Link TL-WN821N v3 / TL-WN822N v2 802.11n [Atheros AR7010+AR9287]
    Bus 001 Device 006: ID 20a0:0001 Clay Logic
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 2357:0115 TP-Link
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMC9514 Hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

dmesg|paste here

http://ix.io/1ia7

I then found a site showthread.php?t=2314039 which suggested to run this: (I modified the http address).

Code
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install git
    git clone https://github.com/EntropicEffect/rtl8822bu
    cd rtl8822bu_master
    make
    sudo make install

I intended to run that with Putty and use WinSCp (which works) OK to the RPi2 (using the working WiFi Dongle Device 005) to edit the makefile on the Pi.

However,

1. I was told I didn't need :sudo" in "sudo apt-get update" as I had root access; OK.

2. So I tried "apt-get update"; but I was then told "There is no working 'apt-get' ".

So, how do you actually add the WiFi driver (if you want to do so by yourself?) please?

Thanks a lot

k.

• Oh. I'm guessing I'd need to do this everytime an udpate came out. Might be simpler finding a device that is in the kernel, referring to your note above "and since we plan to drop support for all wifi devices that don't have in-kernel drivers in LE 10.0 we're aren't in a rush to add more of them now."

Can I assume this lists all devices with "in-kernel drivers" https://wikidevi.com/wiki/list_of_wi-fi_device_ids_in_linux or here (USB only) query_hostif.php?hostif=usb? or here wireless\net\drivers - kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git - Linux kernel source tree ?

I appreciate not all versions of the devices tabled are supported e.g. I can only find the B1 version of the USB-AC55 adapter locally but I need the MediaTek version (see table below). I have to say that list seems quite short for newer devices (if you consider the life cycle of devices available), really hard to find the "old" e.g. 5 years old!) adapter that is in-kernel.

Wireless-AC1300 USB 3.0 Adapter • MediaTek MT7612UN

Wireless-AC1300 USB 3.0 Adapter • Realtek RTL8812BU

Like a numpty, I've now bought two devices (well I actually had one already) that are not in-kernel.

cheers

k.

Edited 2 times, last by jksmurf (May 11, 2019 at 4:16 AM).

• Official Post

wikidevi lists devices against drivers; some of which are in-kernel and many of which are not; the list of devices with in-kernel drivers has always been a fraction of what's available in the market. There are signs of Realtek changing direction - a bunch of new drivers (for new chips) were upstreamed for Linux 5.2. Hopefully that trend continues and it results in some inexpensive and technically current options for people to purchase. Being a learned-pessimist on these things I wouldn't expect too much effort from Realtek on back-filling support for the legion of chips already shipped. The business decision on how/where to invest resources means manufacturers nearly always invest in current/future generations of hardware not previous ones.

• OK cheers; hopefully that'll happen sooner rather than later.

The irony here being the "short list" I referred to above has primarily older devices in-kernel whilst newer ones just don't seem to make it.

k.