Recommendations for a programmable remote control?

• Hello everyone!

I have LibreElec installed on an old RPi2B, replacing it with an Odroid C2 soon, and things work quite well. The big hitch is that my TV, a Panasonic, does not send the Guide button event over HDMI-CEC. This makes TV usage cumbersome.

Even before that, I've been thinking about consolidating at least some remote-control features into a programmable RC.

The WeTek Pro looks quite good, although I don't own a WeTek.

Does anyone here know if it sends factory-default codes without programming, so I can just remap one of them to open the TVHeadEnd EPG view?

The thread Wetek Remote Pro support lets me understand it doesn't work without a WeTek installation, but also that it would work by teaching it the key functions.

I have enough background to configure the XML stuff if required, just to get that out there, and why I'm asking about default codes it might send.

Should that be a good choice or is there something else I should consider?

The Orbsmart AM-1 looks like a contender but it doesn't have a lot of keys to replace other remote controls.

Any recommendations for an IR receiver in case the best buy doesn't come with one?

Thanks for any and all help!

• Firstly I would recommend searching the forum for "ir-remote" there are plenty of discussions.

From experience, the Flirc is the simplest solutions - and from other comments, the one to choose. However, for me, it didn't suit my requirements. So I tried a Harmony (Mine was a "One") but alas IR didn't really give me what I wanted. So I switched to BT and I can now do what I want.

A *BIG* however, is Harmony remotes are well spendy. £120+

Like all things in computing, there are many users with their own experiences, so I would wait a while before making a decision.

• From experience, the Flirc is the simplest solutions - and from other comments, the one to choose. However, for me, it didn't suit my requirements. So I tried a Harmony (Mine was a "One")

This doesn't make any sense: Flirc is a receiver and Harmony is remote control and they work in pair.

• I'll dig through the forums for more later, thanks, Iridium :)

As far as receivers go, it does seem that Flirc should do it.

I understand there are many preferences etc, but also that it would help to hear what people have found good.

Bluetooth is kind of unnecessary, as my amp takes its controlling over IR, and all home audio goes through it, so programming its frequencies into something else would help with unification ;) There's also a DSpeaker AntiMode DualCore in there, and at least its input selection could be in a unified remote control.

The Harmonies are classic, but maybe I should have specified that something a bit more affordable would be nice.

Definitely will be getting back to this soon and if someone else has ideas, keep them coming :)

• Hi!

I've been trawling the forums but didn't find a thread with recommendations, only things that strengthen my belief that I need to do things myself.

1. Buy any programmable remote
    2. Find a remote which does not interact with my TV's HDMI-CEC
    3. Program remote with only the things I need, not bothering with HDMI-CEC because it adds no value
    4. If this remote is not officially supported by Kodi, experience moderate pain configuring things
    5. Done

And invest in a Flirc as well, because I haven't been convinced the Odroid C2 receiver will actually work.

I won't be buying anything right this instant, so if someone can tell me why the WeTek Pro remote is a bad idea and what is a better idea, let me - and everyone else - know :)