MMAL performance (on RPI2) - perfect in Openelec, unusable in Libreelec

• I am a long time Kodi user but this is my first time on this forum, I hope I post in the right place. I have an annoying issue I would like to share.

When I updated from Openelec I noticed that some of my 60fps videos started to stutter badly and audio got out of sync. These are family videos recorded with my Oneplus 3 (1080p, 60fps, ~40mbps) and a Fujifilm camera (1080p, 60fps, only ~15mbps).

I could not find settings to play these videos smoothly in Libreelec. I tried both MMAL and OMXPlayer, and tried multiple versions of Libreelec including the most recent one. I even tried the latest OSMC with no luck.

Then I downloaded and flashed the last (and old) Openelec version (8.0.4) and my videos play perfectly smoothly (reporting MMAL codec). How is this possible? Is there a setting I missed in Libreelec? Or was the performance downgraded by this much? What could be the solution?

edit: my files are on a USB HDD connected directly to the Pi.

• I have Pi2. But I just tried them over SMB, too. Same stutter as with the HDD. After a couple of seconds it is terrible.

Any ideas why it is smooth with Openelec but not with Libreelec?

• That should give us a bit more info to work with.

• BTW, I think I haven't seen your debug-enabled kodi.log file yet..

Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • Code
    16:12:19.695 T:1945550960  NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository repository.exodus
    16:12:19.695 T:1945550960  NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository repository.xbmc.org
    16:12:19.695 T:1945550960  NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository repository.lambda
    16:12:19.695 T:1945550960  NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository superrepo.kodi.helix.all
    16:12:19.695 T:1945550960  NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository repository.xbmchub
    16:12:19.696 T:1945550960  NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository repository.kodi.game
    16:12:19.696 T:1945550960  NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository repository.libreelec.tv
    16:12:19.696 T:1945550960  NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository repository.kodibae

Now why are you doing this...? Visitor #2,892,735 that forgot to read the forum rules that explain that LibreELEC/Kodi wants NOTHING to do with video piracy, and here you have a Kodi setup with several repositories and add-ons for illegal video viewing.

Support stops here. You can show yourself out.

• Im sorry if I accidentally violated rules. I will gladly remove them. I tried many interesting addons in the past but I don't think I use any of those.

The issue in my first post is present with my own, home made videos and a clean install of Libreelec.

• I will gladly remove them.

Lots of these add-ons also install additional modules and dependencies. Those tend to make the Kodi core functionality misbehave.

The best, easiest and fastest way is to start with a clean setup. Doing a hard reset via the LibreELEC Settings Add-on, don't install crap add-ons (yet), and play your problem videos with default settings.