Samba Server not showing up

• Hi.

I have Samba running on Ubuntu 18.04 with the default config (plus my music share).

On windows 10 this works fine and I can see the server when I browse to 'Network'

But on Ubuntu 18.04 and on LibreElec 8.25, when I browse my workgroup for SMB shares, I cannot see any samba servers, even my windows pc.

If I manually enter the server's address then I can browse the shares.

Does anyone know why this is working in Windows and not linux?

• But on Ubuntu 18.04 and on LibreElec 8.25, when I browse my workgroup for SMB shares, I cannot see any samba servers, even my windows pc.

Kodi + LibreELEC now default to SMBv2 (and up), and SMBv2+ no longer supports network browsing, so you will need to add your sources manually via "Add a network location...". SMBv2 also requires a user account with full credentials, meaning a user with a password. Seeing that you use Ubuntu, that shouldn't be a problem.

• SMBv1 is a basically a Swiss cheese when it comes to network security. Google for 'WannaCry' if you want to see the outcome of that.

XP is very unlikely to have SMBv2 support anyway. The 7 and 10 versions will probably have been upgraded to a default SMBv2 by now.

You can change the minimum SMB protocol in the LibreELEC Settings Add-on to SMBv1, and even choose the legacy option.

Just don't come to us when a sudden network intrusing has taken place afterwards.