X96 Mini - Wifi Problem

• Hello,

I own a X96 Mini Android Box with the Amlogic S905W Chipset. I had it run on one of the Kszaq Builds I found.

Now I found out that these Builds won't be supported in the future, so I tried to switch to the new Beta for LibreElec 9.0 with a clean install, since it seems to support the Chipset the Box uses and especially for the support of DRM.

The build itself is booting up and installing just fine.

But the Wifi Chip seems not to be recognised, since I cannot even see the Wireless Option in the Menu. Only wired network where I have absolutly no access to.

When I tried a USB Wifi Dongle I usually use for my Pi Zero, I see the Wireless Options but there are no Networks found.

Is there any way to install the correct drivers for the Wifi Chip or at least enter a Terminal? There must be something since it is working with the old Kszaq Build I got.

Maybe someone has an idea? I can't use ssh since I am stuck without network.

• If you can tell us which chip is in the box .. we can advise how it might be supported (or not). Otherwise it's a blind guess. That probably requires you to open up the box.

• I just tried to get the box open. Unfortunately there is no way in there without breaking it.

Do you know if it's possible to get into a Terminal on the box?

What I find most confusing is that the box and Wifi worked with Kszaq build and device tree. So it can't be impossible to fix.

• I have an X96 mini with S905W 2Gb box and run CoreElec 8.95.7 (and many previous versions as well) without any wifi issues.

Just check that you use proper dtb.img file.

On LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2-8.2.3.1 I used (if I remeber correctly) gxl_p212_2g.dtb.

With CoreELEC-S905.arm-8.95.7 I use gxl_p281_2g.dtb

• I have an X96 mini with S905W 2Gb box and run CoreElec 8.95.7 (and many previous versions as well) without any wifi issues.

Just check that you use proper dtb.img file.

On LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2-8.2.3.1 I used (if I remeber correctly) gxl_p212_2g.dtb.

With CoreELEC-S905.arm-8.95.7 I use gxl_p281_2g.dtb

Thank you for that answer. I am downloading CoreELEC right now. Hopefully I can get it run like you have.

Would have preferred the new LibreELEC, but I can't get the Box to boot with any of these dtb files. Maybe I do something wrong, but I don't now. Closest I got was the new LibreELEC Kvim Build without changing the dtb file. That boots without Wifi.

But whenever I try one of the other Device Trees, I can't get it to boot.

If anyone has another Idea, I am still open to suggestions.

• Thank you for that answer. I am downloading CoreELEC right now. Hopefully I can get it run like you have.

Would have preferred the new LibreELE

Why?

I prefer Kodi 18, so not interested in LE any more. Besides that CE is focused only on Amlogic boxes...

• Why?

I prefer Kodi 18, so not interested in LE any more. Besides that CE is focused only on Amlogic boxes...

Thank you for the Suggestion of CoreElec. I didn't knew that much about CoreElec and the few articles I read before always told Libreelec to be better than CoreElec.

But really I have been trying out CoreElec so far on the X96 Mini and realized I am quite happy with it. Connecting to Wifi wasn't a problem and most things working so far.

Do you happen to have a working Remote.conf for the box, would you share it perhaps?

My old Remote.conf from Old Version of Libreelec doesn't seem to work correctly just 2 buttons or so and even them are switched.