H96 Max Plus (Rockchip 3328)

• Digit97 thanks a lot for the image, for me the TV has some glitches with green lines quite often, and the UI seems to be very slow (much slower than RPi3, or the android OS that came with the box) I see that balbes150 has added new FW versions on his trials, would those improvements help with these problems?

• Here my latest DT which shall go into upstream Linux. The attached *.dtb file should work for the latest LibreELEC (Matrix) 10.0 BETA images (LibreELEC-RK3328.arm-9.95.2-a1.img.gz), at least the basic functionality (including remote) that is.

Thanks for testing!

Unfortunately unable to boot into LibreELEC with a1 image. Able to boot with "balbes150" generic image but green screen with Panasonic 4K TV! On computer monitor 1080P, OK!

• yeah, there seems to be a 2160p resolution issue with the file, but if you switch to 1080p resolution it comes back to business as usual (I tried various frame rates, but 2160p is broken right now). easyb do you also have a similar problem on your end?

• yeah, there seems to be a 2160p resolution issue with the file, but if you switch to 1080p resolution it comes back to business as usual (I tried various frame rates, but 2160p is broken right now). easyb do you also have a similar problem on your end?

When connected to 4K TV, unable to see enough to change resolution - it switches auto to 4K at startup! What about 4K playback? That's the main reason I use linux based Kodi *elec.

• Unfortunately I do not have a 4K TV, sorry. I doubt this is related to the DT though. Are there maybe similar reports for the beta images?

In order for WiFi to work we will need a compatible driver for the HS2734C/AP6330 chip in the image. I plan to look into this topic at some point.

Edited once, last by easyb (April 29, 2021 at 11:46 AM).

Unfortunately I do not have a 4K TV, sorry. I doubt this is related to the DT though. Are there maybe similar reports for the beta images?

In order for WiFi to work we will need a compatible driver for the HS2734C/AP6330 chip in the image. I plan to look into this topic at some point.

Yet, it's nice to have kernel 5 support with this dtb though. Good work. Hopefully the green screen bug will be fixed during development process and perhaps more tester will contribute to get a clearer picture.

Its not "broken".

The reason you are seeing "green flickering" (I guess) is, that the dram bandwith required to display 4k is to high.

The vendor kernel raised the dram frequency applied correct dram timings - this does not exist in upstream kernel (yet) and the dram frequency will be stuck at ~ 300 MHz with standard timings which propably do not match the those required for the dram chips in your box - so everything will be (very) slow.

The only way around that is currently, to completely(!) erase the emmc, so that dram init is done from sd card, where we initialising the dram with 786 MHz (with standard timings, though). There will be an update for that sooner or later for LE for selected devices.

Overall: Its recommanded to use SBC boards, which do not have android pre-installed, so that the complete boot process is done from SD card oob

• I carried on with some more testing, booted to Armbian SD and erased emmc. Tried to boot from LE SD while connect box with 4K TV. Same as before, Green screen"!

• easyb could you give us a hint on how to get the wifi working? I've been tinkering with a H96 Max Plus RK3328 4/64 for a few weeks now, and wifi is still my biggest problem.

• Its not "broken".

The reason you are seeing "green flickering" (I guess) is, that the dram bandwith required to display 4k is to high.

The vendor kernel raised the dram frequency applied correct dram timings - this does not exist in upstream kernel (yet) and the dram frequency will be stuck at ~ 300 MHz with standard timings which propably do not match the those required for the dram chips in your box - so everything will be (very) slow.

The only way around that is currently, to completely(!) erase the emmc, so that dram init is done from sd card, where we initialising the dram with 786 MHz (with standard timings, though). There will be an update for that sooner or later for LE for selected devices.

Overall: Its recommanded to use SBC boards, which do not have android pre-installed, so that the complete boot process is done from SD card oob

Hi knaerzche

Are there any workaround perhaps yet so the dram frequency can load at 786mhz without erasing the emmc for RK3328 devices?

Is there perhaps something I can modify in the u-boot source code used by Android on emmc to trick loading Linux OS's from a micro-sd to run the dram frequency higher and not at 300mhz?

It seems the dmc driver RK3399 devices use is very complicated and something for RK3328 is still far off.