[S812] OTT M8S 2G RAM 8G ROM BCM4335 WIFI

• OK, so I've restored my stock ROM from cyx_m8s_v8.6_bcm4335_8g2g_kodi_addons_160125_SD.zip, are you saying I should use a recovery app from Android or that once I have restored stock ROM then I should boot into recovery and apply the LibreELEC update?

Thanks

I'm not sure if this will be useful to your situation but I installed LE using TWRP recovery.
    You have to rename the above linked file to recovery.img and copy it to an SD card and then boot into the TWRP recovery using the toothpick method.

On a separate USB flash drive I unzipped Begicj's linked LE zip, which should put 2 files on said drive:

• LibreELEC-Amlogic.arm-M8S-7.0.2-update.zip
    • factory_update_param.aml

Once you're in TWRP recovery, install the above .zip that you copied to your usb flash drive.

• LIBREELEC 7.0.2 based on drieschel LE git for OTT M8S with BCM4335

Update 29.11.2016: LE 7.0.2 M8S BCM 4335

Compiled with 4k resolution and working hyperion.
    Remote is ok
    CEC works
    Lan works
    Only 1G RAM (kernel panic if compiled with 2G)
    Power off works(thanks to kszaq s power off patch) sometimes cant wake up with remote or with HDMI cec (only replug power adapter helps)
    WIFI works (thanks to kszaq s Wi-Fi driver and kernel patch)
    Bluetooth not works
    Sudpend not works

• You should use recovery app from Android.

Is this something I can get from the google app store or is it supposed to be bundles with the stock ROM? Any chance of an APK link?

Thanks.
    [hr]

I'm not sure if this will be useful to your situation but I installed LE using TWRP recovery.
    You have to rename the above linked file to recovery.img and copy it to an SD card and then boot into the TWRP recovery using the toothpick method.

On a separate USB flash drive I unzipped Begicj's linked LE zip, which should put 2 files on said drive:

Once you're in TWRP recovery, install the above .zip that you copied to your usb flash drive.

Thanks, I'll give this a try next after flashing directly from android.

Edited once, last by CCob (November 29, 2016 at 9:43 AM).

• Is this something I can get from the google app store or is it supposed to be bundles with the stock ROM? Any chance of an APK link?

Thanks.

It is already included in stock ROM.
    please watch this video (ignore download links and watch from 3:10 - 6:15)

• I'm not sure if this will be useful to your situation but I installed LE using TWRP recovery.

Nope, no joy using TWRP either. The original android recovery and TWRP seem to flash the image just fine. LibreELEC even boots the main OS and I can access the console over the serial port from the board, it's just that Kodi iteself fails to start and continues to fail with the following error

Code
    00:06:31 T:3041833536   ERROR: EGL error in InitDisplay: 3003
    00:06:31 T:3041833536   ERROR: InitWindowSystem: Could not create display
    00:06:31 T:3041833536   FATAL: CApplication::Create: Unable to init windowing system

Edited once, last by CCob (November 29, 2016 at 8:33 PM).

• Nope, no joy using TWRP either. The original android recovery and TWRP seem to flash the image just fine. LibreELEC even boots the main OS and I can access the console over the serial port from the board, it's just that Kodi iteself fails to start and continues to fail with the following error

Code
    00:06:31 T:3041833536   ERROR: EGL error in InitDisplay: 3003
    00:06:31 T:3041833536   ERROR: InitWindowSystem: Could not create display
    00:06:31 T:3041833536   FATAL: CApplication::Create: Unable to init windowing system

Have You tried THIS version from today?

• Have You tried THIS version from today?

I have, although with this version is seems kernel and console over serial ports has been disabled so I don't see any output after u-boot hands over to the Linux kernel, LibreELEC does load, then a blank screen follows that I see with the previous release which I suspect is the same problem.

• I have, although with this version is seems kernel and console over serial ports has been disabled so I don't see any output after u-boot hands over to the Linux kernel, LibreELEC does load, then a blank screen follows that I see with the previous release which I suspect is the same problem.

can you send picture of your box (pcb board)? is libreelec logo normal size when device boot?
    please send uboot log.

Edited once, last by begicj (November 29, 2016 at 9:38 PM).

• It is already included in stock ROM.
    please watch this video (ignore download links and watch from 3:10 - 6:15)

Interesting, my stock android doesn't look like the one in the video nor have that app installed. The boot logo shows MediaBox with the following main UI, but full app list doesn't contain the app in the video.

I'll follow up when I can with photos of the board, but it has "M8 v8_6 20150820" as a board marking. It is definitely an M8S though as I took the heat sink off to check the chip and it's a S812

• If you are talking about the "backup and restore" tool - it is visible if you go to the "full app list" and then use the "down" button to show the next app page - at least it is that way on my box (which has this hm... "colorful" launcher too).

bye
    Ron

• Interesting, my stock android doesn't look like the one in the video nor have that app installed. The boot logo shows MediaBox with the following main UI, but full app list doesn't contain the app in the video.

I'll follow up when I can with photos of the board, but it has "M8 v8_6 20150820" as a board marking. It is definitely an M8S though as I took the heat sink off to check the chip and it's a S812

select + icon (add shortcut), there you will see something like this and select update&recovery.

Edited once, last by begicj (November 29, 2016 at 10:11 PM).

• You've just made my day, sir. So nice to get wifi working on this box. This is fantastic progress! :D

Thank you very much!

• 20161130_083143 — Postimage.io

https://postimg.org/image/y98kv7hol/

Here are a couple of pics of my board
    [hr]
    One thing that is interesting is attempting to flash my stock ROM via TWRP fails with this image is bcm4335 but this board is k200, but I can flash the LibreELEC fine. Also flash both fine from Android recovery.

Are you sure that this board have bcm4335 Wi-Fi
    chip? (My box have Wi-Fi chip on back of board) Does Wi-Fi works when you flash original Rom?
    This boards are usualli n200 or n200c.
    Did you try Flash with THIS LE build from Kerber?

• Are you sure that this board have bcm4335 Wi-Fi
    chip? (My box have Wi-Fi chip on back of board) Does Wi-Fi works when you flash original Rom?

I'll give that a try. I know the only u-boot that has worked for me so far is m8m2 n200C v1, a k200 flash of u-boot doesn't work at all and I need to use a boot-able USB and burn the n200c one back
    [hr]

Are you sure that this board have bcm4335 Wi-Fi

Yes, wifi works with stock ROM. Found the update app in android now, feel like a right tool. Was pressing across to look for other apps not down.
    [hr]
    Same result using Android Update app unfortunately. I'll try the Kerber build now
    [hr]

I'll give that a try. I know the only u-boot that has worked for me so far is m8m2 n200C v1, a k200 flash of u-boot doesn't work at all and I need to use a boot-able USB and burn the n200c one back
    [hr]

Yes, wifi works with stock ROM. Found the update app in android now, feel like a right tool. Was pressing across to look for other apps not down.
    [hr]
    Same result using Android Update app unfortunately. I'll try the Kerber build now

Kerber build doesn't even load the kernel, I get this from serial output

Seems it doesn't match any dtb's, only has the 2G variants available. Even though mine is 2GB, kernel crashed when u-boot is configured to advertise 2G so it onlt advertises 1G now.
    [hr]

[hr]

[hr]
    [hr]

Kerber build doesn't even load the kernel, I get this from serial output

Seems it doesn't match any dtb's, only has the 2G variants available. Even though mine is 2GB, kernel crashed when u-boot is configured to advertise 2G so it onlt advertises 1G now.

Can you send me a dump of your u-boot.bin, so I can match that too?

Edited once, last by CCob (November 30, 2016 at 7:19 PM).

• Can you send me a dump of your u-boot.bin, so I can match that too?

[hr]

Edited once, last by begicj (November 30, 2016 at 8:22 PM).

• Identical to mine, other than mine is an October 15 build and yours is a September 15. Do you have your u-boot.bin at hand so I can flash yours?

• [/quote]

Identical to mine, other than mine is an October 15 build and yours is a September 15. Do you have your u-boot.bin at hand so I can flash yours?
    [/quote]

You can download firmware and uboot on this LINK

Please extract .dtd file from yours Android image so I can compare and compile if there is difrence between .dtd files.

[hr]

LIBREELEC 7.0.2 based on drieschel LE git for OTT M8S with BCM4335

Update 30.11.2016: LE 7.0.2 M8S BCM 4335 WIFI + BLUETOOTH + HYPERION

Compiled with 4k resolution and working hyperion.
    Remote is ok
    CEC works
    Lan works
    Only 1G RAM (kernel panic if compiled with 2G)
    Power off works(thanks to kszaq s power off patch) sometimes cant wake up with remote or with HDMI cec (only replug power adapter helps)
    WIFI works (thanks to kszaq s Wi-Fi driver and kernel patch)
    Bluetooth works
    Sudpend not works

Edited once, last by begicj (November 30, 2016 at 10:03 PM).