Kodi freezing on LibreElec images (rock64)

• Hey guys,

I have always used libreelec on raspberry pi 3 with no problem. When acquiring a rock64 to watch in 4k I have had problems. The kodi simply hangs, the rock64 does not accept any command from the keyboard and I'm forced to reboot. This happens with 1 minute of film or 30 minutes, varies. It happens in both 1080p and 2160p.

I need help, I do not know what to do, I moved in settings, I changed images and nothing solves.

Note. It has some images of libreelec that does not work, when playing 4k movies, simply the screen turns green. I close the film and put it to play a 1080p and it works, only 2160p, in some pictures, it does not work.

I'm using a 9.0 out of 28/12, it's the most stable I've found.

I ask for help to find the correct configuration or correct image.

Edit: I have two rock64, it happens in two = /

Tks, Valter.

• We reached the point where the RK 4.4 kernel mostly works, but it's an older codebase that is missing a bunch of the newer-kernel frameworks we need to use for HDR etc. and backporting doesn't make sense. So we're no in the process of rewriting DRM/KMS and FFmpeg support (using a proper stateless V4L2 decoder) and sorting other critical things from a Linux 4.20 base, and that work needs to advance further before you'll see any serious changes to RK support again (and things may get worse before better, as it's significant rework). So for now RK support "is what it is" and images will continue in an Alpha state (no Beta, no release) with Kodi and surrounding package changes, but no real-world difference to RK features.

• As for 4k support - 4k30fps should be okay for LibreELEC that's not official one (for me official one doesn't even start up :( ), you can try to build Firefly image from here or, if you need to just play video (and you are okay with full OS) with mpv or gstreamer you can try Armbian image and this guide

• Thanks for both answers. Looking forward to a more accurate RK support, a board is really good.

Dante4,

I noticed that in your guide, several libraries and settings are installed. But I did not see anything about the video driver. I say this because I installed Armbian a few times and it is not possible to play the video using a Mali450p, videos lock. Does your guide solve this situation?

• Do you recommend some OS that run graphics on rock64, especially on 4k? I say this because I tried armbian, dietpi, among others, and the 4k does not run, it seems that install video drive is missing. I searched on MESA DRIVER and did not approve to follow the tutorials, they were very invasive.

• Thanks for both answers. Looking forward to a more accurate RK support, a board is really good.

Dante4,

I noticed that in your guide, several libraries and settings are installed. But I did not see anything about the video driver. I say this because I installed Armbian a few times and it is not possible to play the video using a Mali450p, videos lock. Does your guide solve this situation?

Sorry for late answer.

About video - i was only using armbian, because had a bit of problems with ubuntu or debian.

As for video driver - you need to install mpp. With mpp you will be able to build mpv+ffmpeg, but that's only full screen video (no windowed). For windowed + fullscreen you need to use gstreamer (i have limited knowledge about why mpv and gstreamer so different, maybe Jmcc on armbian forum will be to answer this).

Here is how