Delay in accessing images via SMB sharing

• Hello everybody,

I have the following problem:

I am using the latest Libreelec and want to access my images (about 8.000), which are stored on a Windows server in the network via smb sharing.

Problem: It takes over two minutes until I can access the images.

I copied the images locally to the device for testing and they are loaded without delay. Only with the smb share it takes forever.

On another client I still have Kodi running with Windows, there I have absolutely no delay about the smb release.

It is definitely due to the constellation with Libreelec.

Maybe you can adjust the network cache here? Or adjust the SMB setting?

Many thanks in advance!

10:32:00.835 T:140376385875264 ERROR: Control has invalid animation type (no condition or no type)

10:37:36.270 T:140376385875264 ERROR: Previous line repeats 2 times.

10:37:36.270 T:140376385875264 NOTICE: Samba is idle. Closing the remaining connections

Edited once, last by Slipass (December 29, 2018 at 10:01 AM).

• A few things to mention perhaps.

- "Latest" is not a distinct version number. Is it the latest stable, latest beta, latest nightly..?

- How are you sharing via SMB: via IP addresses or via hostnames, and which SMB version are you using?

- Linux and Windows are totally different animals. Comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges.

- "It is definitely due to the constellation with Libreelec." If that were the case, our forum would be flooded with complaints by now.

- Providing only three out of context lines from an entire kodi log file isn't very helpful. Please provide the FULL unedited log file via a paste site near you, such as Kodi's hastebin .

Thanks.

• - "Latest" is not a distinct version number. Is it the latest stable, latest beta, latest nightly..?

• LibreELEC (Leia) v8.95.1 BETA

- How are you sharing via SMB: via IP addresses or via hostnames, and which SMB version are you using?

• IP Adress. I try it with the SMB 1, 2,and 3 Config in the Libreelec settings

- Linux and Windows are totally different animals. Comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges.

- "It is definitely due to the constellation with Libreelec." If that were the case, our forum would be flooded with complaints by now.

• I think it has to do with Libreelec or Linux. I have been using Kodi/xbmc on 5 Windows clients since 2012 and have never had any problems calling 8,000 images via a smb share. It is not meant to be negative, it is only feedback and should help others.
    • I then use the plugin "Slideshow Screensaver" to display my pictures as screensavers.

- Providing only three out of context lines from an entire kodi log file isn't very helpful. Please provide the FULL unedited log file via a paste site near you, such as Kodi's hastebin .

• Oh, it's a screensaver add-on.

The log still looks incomplete. It has stopped right after listing the sound devices... Also any interaction of your Slideshow Screensaver is not listed (although it possible that this add-on is not that 'talkative' with log entries).

Please also enable debugging so that more detailed info is displayed. Then restart LibreELEC, let the slideshow do its thing, wait for a couple of minutes, and then provide the new log file.

• No, it was just a try.

I thought it might be because of the cache and wanted to increase it, but I think the setting is for the video cache only,

I've already undone that by now, too.

• Hello Klojum and a happy new year I wish.

I wanted to inquire whether you could find something out on the basis of the log already?

I'm at the end of my Latin and don't know what to do.

• Hello,

I have tested and rechachiert the days now still but unfortunately still no solution found.

Now the following constellation was tested:

- Device with Amlogic S912 CPU and Libreelec Wlan/Lan - not working

- Device with Amlogic S912 CPU and Coreelec Wlan/Lan - not working

- Device with Amlogic S905 CPU and Libreelec Wlan/Lan - not working

- x86 Device with Libreelec Wlan/Lan- not working

- x86 Device with Windows 10 Wlan/Lan - working

So it really seems to be a problem in connection with Windows SMB sharing and Linux

The error generally occurs with many files, whether they are in subfolders or not.

I think it's a real shame that I haven't received an answer yet. Even a negative answer would at least be desirable.

Through the research I could also see that I am not the only one with these problems.

Samba Tuning - Many Files

or

Topic I

Unfortunately I don't know Linux very well, so I wanted to post it here in the forum for the experts :)

I hope that someone can help me, because this is a very important point for me.

• I think it's a real shame that I haven't received an answer yet. Even a negative answer would at least be desirable.

Well, because it's pretty difficult for us or others to mimic your whole network setup. Apparently not everyone is having samba connect problems, otherwise there would be so many more complaints on this forum. There are so many possible variables in reproducing these delays.

If only Microsoft wasn't so damn casual with addressing and solving the SMB vulcano in the first place, things would have been a lot easier IMO.

BTW: ever tried NFS instead of SMB? There are NFS servers for Windows too.

• I understand that, of course.

If I can test anything, I am ready immediately.

Maybe many don't have this problem because not everyone has about 8,000 files in their folder and that's also via an SMB share :D

I haven't tried NFS yet because I read it only in connection with a Windows Server OS.

But I use Windows 10 as "Server".

Meanwhile the ambition grabs me and I want to have solved this problem :)

That's the only thing keeping me from switching all my clients to Libreelec at the moment.

• Finally!!! After hours of research and reading I found the solution.

With this entry in the Advancedsettings.xml it works without problems

<samba>

<doscodepage></doscodepage>

<clienttimeout>10</clienttimeout>

<statfiles>false</statfiles>

</samba>