I am having a problem with v18 code. I've seen it in earlier v18 releases but have been dealing with other playback issues which are now resolved. The problem remains in the most current release. I have an 8th generation Intel NUC (8i7BEH) connected directly to my Samsung F9000 TV running HDMI 2.0 3840x2160 @ 60 fps (although I don't believe the resolution and refresh rates don't seem to make a difference). Also connected to my TV is a Roku Ultra device on another HDMI input. The problem can easily be reproduced. When the problem occurs the text on any menu disappears and I get is the background Kodi menus without text. This includes hitting the info button, the codec information when a video is playing or even the basic video menus to navigate my library. It is also independent of the skin. I can reproduce this with either Confluence or Estuary. Here's the sequence of steps to reproduce:
1. I am viewing the NUC / Kodi on my Samsung TV, generally playing a video but it doesn't seem to matter what I am doing.
2. I switch away on the Samsung to view the Roku device. The NUC stays powered up as-is.
3. I switch back to the NUC and play a video.
4. While playing a video I hit any overlay screen output like the Info button, Menu button, I skip the video or view the codec info.
5. At this point whatever comes up in #4 comes up with the background and any associated images but the text is gone.
Rebooting the NUC fixes the issue. Sometimes I can switch away from the NUC and switch back on my Samsung TV and the text comes back but not always. I can post a screen shot of what this looks like when it happens and a log output if it would be helpful and this hasn't been seen before. it seems like something with the HDMI output / negotiations. If I never switch away from the NUC (steps 2 and 3) the problem never occurs. Has anyone else seen this loss of menu text symptom ?