Intel NUC8i3BEH Audio Issue

• Hi,

my constellation is as follows:

Intel NUC8i3BEH (Milhouse Build #1209)

---> HMDI Port: HDMI 2.0b Cable (DP1 for Video) ---> Samsung GQ65Q7FN
    ---> USB-C Port: USB-C to HDMI 2.0 Cable (DP2 for Audio Passthrough) ---> Yamaha RX-S601

Video output works fine, but i can´t get the audio Stream. The audio settings shows the yamaha receiver like "ALSA:HDA....YAMAHA...."

The reasen why i not connect like this:

Intel NUC8i3BEH (Milhouse Build #1209)

---> HMDI Port: HDMI 2.0b Cable ---> Yamaha RX-S601 ---> HMDI OUT Port: HDMI 2.0b Cable ---> Samsung GQ65Q7FN

... is that the Yamaha Receiver don´t have HDR Support. In the future Libreelec will hopefully support HDR and that´s why i want to connect the NUC directly to the TV for video and for audio separate to the Yamaha Receiver.

Can anyone help me with the audio issue?

Many thanks

Modjo

Edited 3 times, last by Modjo (December 11, 2018 at 9:59 AM).

• Wrong, incompatible or defective USB-C to HDMI 2.0 cable ?

Loose or poor connection to above cable ?

Your NUC should be able to output HD Audio with both HDMI and USB-C (at the same time)

Edited once, last by blueribb (December 12, 2018 at 7:37 PM).

• Thank you for your reply.

When i use Windows 10, i am able to get audio from usb-c to hdmi and video from hdmi in kodi. That's why the usb-c to hdmi adapter should be fine.

But i can't get it work over libreelec and Windows is not as comfortable as libreelec. :(

• Does your usb-c to hdmi adapter require drivers or is it plug and play with no drivers required ? It could be that Windows has the drivers for your adapter but Libreelec does not.

• Does your usb-c to hdmi adapter require drivers or is it plug and play with no drivers required ? It could be that Windows has the drivers for your adapter but Libreelec does not.

This adapter is plug and play without any drivers.

• I'm pretty sure Kodi's MUTE & VOLUME don't come in to play with audio passthrough enabled but have you looked ?

Did you try all the "Audio Output Devices" in the Kodi menu ?

I would also try the generic version 8.2.5 of libreelec

Edited once, last by blueribb (December 13, 2018 at 7:14 PM).

• I picked up a USB-C to HDMI adapter cable today and will do some testing. I have a couple of Intel NUCs and may want to try a similar configuration. I'll let you know what I find.

Edited once, last by jbinkley60 (December 16, 2018 at 7:41 PM).

• I hooked up my NIC8i7BEH with the HDMI port connected via HDMI to my Samsung TV for video and the USB-C to HDMI cable to my Yamaha RX-A3020 for audio. It works beautifly and solves a major challenge I had been dealing with, my Yamaha receiver being older only supports HDMI 1.4, which had limited me to 4K @30fps. The setup was straightforward. I had to reboot LibreElec so that it saw my Yamaha receiver plugged into the USB-C port. Once I did I went into the audio settings and saw my Samsung on display port 0 and the Yamaha on display port 1. I changed the audio setting to display port 1 and everything worked. If you don't see your receiver on display port 1 it is either a cable or driver issue. I am using the stock LibreElec Alpha 9 current build.

Thank you again for this topic. I hadn't considered using the display port for sound and was looking at shelling out a stack of cash for a newer Yamaha receiver that supported HDMI 2.

• Since it is using a standard USB-C interface vs. straight USB, it doesn't look like any special Linux drivers are needed. For USB to HDMI drivers are needed. I didn't realize this initially. Here's the link to the cable I am using.