DVR Recordings?

• Hi

I am wondering how DVR plugins (tvheadend, nextpvr,etc.) store files on Kodi... and how to navigate and view these within the software.

For example, is a service like Plex required?

As I prepare to build a Raspberry Pi box for this, I want to make sure it will be user friendly for my family.

Thanks!

• Recordings are done at the "backend" that is not nessesairly at the box you use for LibreELEC.

For example you can setup Tvheadend at your NAS (with access to your tuners) and record to your NAS. Then the Kodi PVR addons can grep the recording from your NAS.

Or you install Tvheadend Server at your RPi, connect an tuner to the RPi and use it as recording/playback machine.

• I've just done this with a RPi3 and 3 Xbox One tuners with TVheadend running on a Libreelec install. I can send pictures around the network to other Kodi installs and watch it on the Pi at the same time. Uber happy with it, everything just worked out of the box with some relatively easy setup.

Recordings I put on a mounted drive and they're managed by tvheadend and they appear on all of my kodi installs automatically via the tvheadend EPG (and tablets via the tvheadend app). I set them to be .mkv and HD is about 2Gb an hour and decent quality if I want to keep it.

The only thing I'm not feeling is the remote button behaviour but I think that's fixable with some messing with the keyboard.xml when I get round to it.

Do it...better than a separate PVR with all of the limitations that come with it