Intel true 10bits/HEVC/HDR support... ?

• Just tested it and HDR still works

However 'allow passthrough' doesn't seem to work with this build. I can turn it on but but missing all the options like DTS, Dolby etc to turn it on/off. Didn't had an issue with the 1st build I tested. And when I restore my backup which I made from the first build it does work again. And I'm still on the same build version (*32b3089). I take it it shouldn't be an issue to restore my backup, right?

btw thanks for you help again.

• Just tested it and HDR still works

However 'allow passthrough' doesn't seem to work with this build. I can turn it on but but missing all the options like DTS, Dolby etc to turn it on/off. Didn't had an issue with the 1st build I tested. And when I restore my backup which I made from the first build it does work again. And I'm still on the same build version (*32b3089). I take it it shouldn't be an issue to restore my backup, right?

btw thanks for you help again.

I remember that if you need to set the options for the DTS, Dolby Digital, etc you need to turn on Advanced View. Perhaps you're still using Basic settings and then they are not visible ?

NUC6AYH : No-go for HDR.

NUC7i3BN : Works with HDR (on the previous build you posted about roughly a week or two ago)

Edited once, last by lejose: Merged a post created by lejose into this post. (March 24, 2021 at 7:24 PM).

• NUC6AYH : No-go for HDR.

NUC7i3BN : Works with HDR (on the previous build you posted about roughly a week or two ago)

That's interesting.

According to Intel's support pages for those NUCs they use the same MCDP2800 LSPCON chip.

Can you retest NUC6AYH with the build from post #502?

Also note that there is an issue with those builds. If you turn the TV off and then on (while the NUC is connected and working) - HDR will stop working until Kodi is restarted (maybe a bug in EDID parser code).

• I remember that if you need to set the options for the DTS, Dolby Digital, etc you need to turn on Advanced View. Perhaps you're still using Basic settings and then they are not visible

You are right.

Apologies! I've been upgrading several clients and forgot to turn it back on this machine.

• This build has HDR working on my NUC7i5BNK and it looks great. However, the screen seems to go black intermittently for a few seconds and then the picture comes back on. This seems to happen frequently whilst tinkering with the settings in add-ons (not messing with picture settings) but also happens when playing video, albeit less frequently but, still once or twice at least every minute. I'm not sure if this is a known issue or not.

• Does this happen with all video modes or only with 4K?

Thanks for the quick response. I decided to do some troubleshooting on the hardware side of things and it would appear that it "may" have been the HDMI cable that was the problem as I'm using another one just now and the issue has not yet re-occurred after playing a 4k video for about 6 minutes now. Strange, as the HDMI cable I was using works fine with other devices and there was no issue with it on previous build I was using. I'll report back if the issue crops up again but hopefully it's now resolved. The 4k HDR looks fantastic btw; nice work!

Update: The problem has indeed re-occurred, I'm afraid. I've tinkered with the display settings and the intermittent blanking of the screen does not seem to occur at all if I reduce the display to 1080p in the Kodi's display settings. If the display settings are set to 4k then the intermittant blanking happens even when not playing video, it happens when navigating Kodi's menus too. If I play a 1080p video though it does not occur, even if Kodi's display settings are set to 2160p as evidently it reduces the the resolution to match the video. Definitely seems to be an issue with displaying in 4k.

Edited once, last by Loquacious_B: Update. (March 25, 2021 at 2:51 PM).

• Try to test with a short (< 2m) known good cable connected directly to a TV. Intermittent blanking in 4K modes could be caused by a bad or too-long cable.

• That's interesting.

According to Intel's support pages for those NUCs they use the same MCDP2800 LSPCON chip.

Can you retest NUC6AYH with the build from post #502?

Also note that there is an issue with those builds. If you turn the TV off and then on (while the NUC is connected and working) - HDR will stop working until Kodi is restarted (maybe a bug in EDID parser code).

I think the 6 series CPU dont support HDR at all. Not even in Windows. I think I saw a Intel article that said Gemini Lake/Kaby Lake and newer will support HDR.

• NUC6AYH has HDMI 2.0 port (MCDP2800 LSPCON), J3455 Apollo Lake SoC with Gen9 Graphics. It should be capable to support HDR in Linux.

Windows HDR support is irrelevant, Gemini Lake also doesn't support HDR in Windows.