Windows 10 shared folder for libreelec on RPi

• I'm banging my head against a wall here and nothing I do seems to work. My latest progress is that I'm now getting an Operation not permitted error, which is at least new. I'm willing to try something besides samba, but what I need is to share a folder that's on my windows PC to my LibreELEC install on my raspberry pi. Both are connected wirelessly and on the same network. I've seen this is a problem lots have stumbled upon, and there are loads of various solutions offered, but none have worked for me. Are there any surefire ways to get it to work? Or any other network protocols that are easier to setup? I am running the latest 8.2.5 version of LibreELEC, and my Windows 10 updates are recent too.

• Set the SMB client settings in Kodi back to default (so it's using SMB2/SMB3) and configure the Windows end to share files to a local system user account with a username and password. Set the same username and password as the credential for Kodi to use. Network browsing will not work using SMB2+ so you must manually configure the source in Kodi. I personally find it easier to manually edit sources.xml instead of using the Kodi GUI to enter things via a remote control, and the XML format is simple, e.g.

Code
            <source>
                <name>SHARE</name>
                <path pathversion="1">smb://username:password@SERVERS/SHARE/</path>
                <allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
            </source>

Also make sure any firewall (or endpoint security product) allows access - perhaps disable while doing the initial test.

• Hey MrDowntempo,

Did you figured out the solution?

I'm new to LibreELEC world as well (coming from Windows based Kodi) and having EXACTLY the same issue :)

Please share your success story!

Thanks!

I'm banging my head against a wall here and nothing I do seems to work. My latest progress is that I'm now getting an Operation not permitted error, which is at least new. I'm willing to try something besides samba, but what I need is to share a folder that's on my windows PC to my LibreELEC install on my raspberry pi. Both are connected wirelessly and on the same network. I've seen this is a problem lots have stumbled upon, and there are loads of various solutions offered, but none have worked for me. Are there any surefire ways to get it to work? Or any other network protocols that are easier to setup? I am running the latest 8.2.5 version of LibreELEC, and my Windows 10 updates are recent too.

• I hope this helps. I had the same problem with Windows SMB Shares and got help in this forum.

Accessing Windows Shares using SMB

1. Your Windows shares must have a login and password assigned.

2. The new Windows samba (SMB) DOES NOT allow browsing to the path, so you must type the actual path.

Example: smb://192.168.x.x/movies (use your own IP and folder name)

You can also add the path to your shares by clicking BROWSE and selecting "add network path" and filling out the form shown:

Protocol: Windows Network (SMB)

Server Name: 192.168.x.x (use your own IP address)

Shared Folder: use your folder's name here (ex: movies)

Username: your Windows username

Password: your Windows password