LE9: Tvheadend42 does not answer/crashes with timeshift enabled (default)

• Since I upgraded to milhouse builds later than june, my htpc locks up every 1-2 days. Locking up means i need to turn it off the hard way.

I made same larger steps to september, end of october and latest. Since end of october at minimum one a day, often twice - hsts client complains it lost connection to tvheadend. After ~1minute it recovers. I guess tvheadend has been restarted. This seems not a hsts client issue as all running recordings at this restart are broken. The issues happened on hd and sd channels, often ofter a l long run time without any interaction with the system e.g. 2.5h on one tv channel.

Where are the tvheadend logs? Any idea why the box completly freezes and need to be turned off? My users stressing because of this permanent instability issues. It‘s really annoying.

Edited once, last by marc.bau (November 11, 2018 at 7:02 AM).

• Sure, timeshift is the most uses feature...

found it in /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/service.tvheadend42/service.log

That looks only the last. So if the machine restarted it get's overwritten. This makes it nearly impossible to find the issue. How can I enable cicular logging e.g. keep the last ~5 logs?

Edited 2 times, last by marc.bau (November 10, 2018 at 11:45 PM).

• Basic:

• timeshift is set enabled
    • maximum period is 180min

Advanced setttings:

• storage path /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/service.tvheadend42/cache/timeshift (780GB free)
    • Maximum size (MB): 10240
    • Maximum RAM size (MB): 1024
    • Ram only: disabled

Expert settings:

• all: disabled

• Yesterday I disabled timeshift completly as a try. Since the change I had no tvheadend crash or complete system freeze yet (day before it crashed 5 times), but well this need to be monitored longer to be safe.

Your last comment sounds like there is a known issue? With ram only? Setting it to 0 disables it?

• Ok, after days of testing the issue persisted with timeshift to disk and ram disabled. After I completly disabled timeshift it seems to be stable now. I can try with timeshift to RAM only again. I have 4GB RAM, so 1GB timeshift should work well normally. But after this 1GB is full tvheadend automaticall moves the data to disk (at least documentation says this). This may explain why this issue persisted with timeshift to disk.

I had only used normal HDDs for timeshift.

Seriously... the #1 reason why I have a HTPC is timeshift feature. If this is broken the HTPC is really no longer a real benefit.

Debugging such a reproducible issue should be possible... but how?