MKV playback slow/stuttering when file has high bitrate

• Hello,

I just installed the current stable release of LibreELEC [8.2.5] on my Raspberry Pi 3 B+, but I run into some issues with some if my files mainly when these videos have a very high bitrate.

It makes playback impossible as the audio plays normally and the timer runs correctly, but the video is very slow or stuttering.

I even tried the newest beta version of LibeELEC [8.90.006 ALPHA] as maybe the newer release of either KODI or LibreELEC may already had a fix for this, but the same problem occurs.

The video file is normally located on an SMB-share, but I tried NFS, as well as copying the file to a USB-Drive and directly attaching it to the RaspPie, it does not seem to matter from where I try to play the file. On my main system (Ubuntu 18.10, Intel i7 + GTX970) I have no issues playing the file in KODI or any other player.

Here is the mediainfo of the file I try to playback (This is an already cut file of the original MKV):

If need be I could provide the first 22 seconds of the file so you could reproduce the issues yourself.

But I'd prefer to not post the link in a public forum, I could however PN the link.

Thanks in advance for the help

Cheers

Bit depth : 10 bits

Rpi does not hardware decode 10-bit video. You can still PM me the sample file so I will test it on my Pi.

Edited once, last by smp (November 3, 2018 at 7:55 PM).

• Hello,

thanks smp!

How could I possible miss that, you are right all problematic files are 10-bit.

I sent you the link to the file in any case as I would like to know how well it works for you.

I will probably re-encode my files to 8bit.

Regards

• It's not a problem specific to RPi devices. The H.264 standard specifies 8-bit content so while it's technically possible to rip media into a 10-bit version of the format, nobody makes GPU/SoC chips that support it and all devices CPU decode it. Most Anime fans end up migrating to Intel NUC's (or similar x86_64 boxes) because lots of CPU grunt is needed to decode with all the fancy GPU based video post-processing that the Anime scene seems to like.