Network discovery with Windows and SMB2/3

• Now that SMB1 is deprecated and Windows 10 has abandoned the traditional NETBIOS network discovery method, Libreelec is no more visible and discoverable as samba in Windows Network Neighborhood

Microsoft now uses WS-Discovery method.

Is it possible to add the wsdd daemon on Libreelec, so that it could announce itself with the new protocol?

I found this daemon, I hope it can be useful

GitHub - christgau/wsdd: A Web Service Discovery host daemon.

Thank you very much

• Just checking in to see if there's been any activity from the devs on this feature. Curious if there are plans to include either of the two daemons noted above in a future distro.

• Hi is there any more activity on this front. I have a number of computers in my home. Some were on Windows 10 and others on Windows 7. Over the past year with Windows 10, Network Discovery has been a roller coaster ride. It seems like after every update Network Discovery is all screwed up. Computers just seem to come and go and I'm scrambling to figure out what got changed. Anyways with end of life for Window 7, I systematically updated every computer to Windows 10. Well now everything that was using NetBios has disappeared and I can only see computers using WSD. What's more annoying is my Libreelec devices and my Network Receiver can no longer browse the Network. I can still browse using known IP address with the Libreelec device but not with my Network Receiver which depends solely on Network Discovery.

Strangely enough I've just updated to 1909 and suddenly my Libreelec devices have started showing up again in the Network. Sadly no change browsing from the other direction.

• Well I'm finally getting a handle on this Network Discovery stuff. The reason my Libreelec devices suddenly showed up on Network Discovery is that they got assigned the role as Master Browser and Backup Master Broswer in my network. My Network Receiver was suddenly able to browse the Network and once again became functional. It seems that when any of the Windows 10 computers become the Master Browser all the non-WSD devices disappear. I have a file server running Windows 2008 Server, so I made it the permanent Master Browser. Now everything shows up on Network Discovery again. Now if we could just fix browsing from the Libreelec end.:(

• Learn how to edit /storage/.kodi/userdata/sources.xml via SSH/nano and a spot of copy/past and then marvel at how simple and massively faster this is compared to manual browsing and the cumbersome task of adding username/password details using a remote control.