[SOLVED] 4k TV display capabilities

• Thank you for your patient testing. Can you please test this version:
    2016-08-22-4K-test4

I hope you don't mind being my guinea pigs, I don't have a 4K TV.

Works like a charm!
    You are our hero!

Edit:
    After 40 minutes playing different movies and video files I found one demo with an exotic AAC sound and Kodi is freezed, came back to life after a few sec black screen but after that the GUI shrinked to quarter size. I rebooted the box and everything went back to normal.

Edited once, last by Pelican (August 22, 2016 at 10:14 PM).

• Thank you for your patient testing. Can you please test this version:
    2016-08-22-4K-test4

I hope you don't mind being my guinea pigs, I don't have a 4K TV.

Thanks kszaq for your tireless troubleshooting.
    I do not mind at all to test your builds if I am at home.
    New one seems to have fixed the flickering and black screen. 4k playback works as expected (tested with a single file), but am still getting the quarter screen issue after a reboot/restart.
    Which is strange: TV resolution is ok, as it shows 2160p, but GUI is showing in the upper left part of the screen as it is rendered 1/4 of the size. If I get into settings and change refresh back and forth (current 60 Hz --> 50 Hz), issue is fixed, and I can go back to 60 Hz with no problems.
    Could it be related to the GUI resizing not detecting the target resolution properly?

Attached is log.

Thanks again.

• In the 4th test build I fixed 005's approach to render GUI at 1080p and then scale to 4K. I think in your case scaling does not enable for some reason at boot, I will revise my patch and post a next test build, hopefully the last one.
    [hr]
    Hopefully the last test build that should solve 1/4th screen GUI at boot: 2016-08-23-4K-test5

Edited once, last by kszaq (August 22, 2016 at 11:21 PM).

• In the 4th test build I fixed 005's approach to render GUI at 1080p and then scale to 4K. I think in your case scaling does not enable for some reason at boot, I will revise my patch and post a next test build, hopefully the last one.
    [hr]
    Hopefully the last test build that should solve 1/4th screen GUI at boot: 2016-08-23-4K-test5

It's hard to test this bug because last time it happens to me only once altough I did several reboot, shutdown and all kind of activity. It happened only when cannot play a file and KODI stopped working.

Edit:
    It seems OK to me.
    I tried that AAC file again and Kodi freezed and restarted but the GUI remained the same resolution and full screen.

Edited once, last by Pelican (August 23, 2016 at 12:19 AM).

[hr]

Thanks kszaq!!
    GUi is now working, but LibreELEC splash screen still shows on a 1/4 screen. I guess it may be related to bootloader not resizing properly. Text during boot is also shown in 1/4 screen.

Interface is fluid and no more lagging as observed with 006 build on 4k TV.

Any other test or debug log you would like me to do/get?

Regards

• Interesting. This never happened on my MINI MX-G. Have you experienced this with the original 006 version too?

This depends on screen resolution configured in u-boot. I guess you see LibreELEC logo at 1080p/720p screen resolution and then it switches to 4K?

• Interesting. This never happened on my MINI MX-G. Have you experienced this with the original 006 version too?

Yes, every version since 005 (first one I installed).

This depends on screen resolution configured in u-boot. I guess you see LibreELEC logo at 1080p/720p screen resolution and then it switches to 4K?

Strange thing is that TV is reporting 4k resolution. As if LibreELEC splash is not rescaling properly, but resolution is set.
    Kodi splash is displayed full screen.

• This depends on screen resolution configured in u-boot. I guess you see LibreELEC logo at 1080p/720p screen resolution and then it switches to 4K?

Yes, LibreELEC starts in 1080p60 and then KODI switches to 2160p60.

• Yes, LibreELEC starts in 1080p60 and then KODI switches to 2160p60.

Is there any chance for LibreELEC boot to set screen resolution to 1080p and later switch to 4k.
    Seems that even though it starts in 1080p, LE sets 4k sending an incorrectly sized splash. During boot (LE Logo) TV reports boot resolution as 4k.

It is just annoying to see 1/4 screen boot logo.

Thanks

• Is there any chance for LibreELEC boot to set screen resolution to 1080p and later switch to 4k.
    Seems that even though it starts in 1080p, LE sets 4k sending an incorrectly sized splash. During boot (LE Logo) TV reports boot resolution as 4k.

It is just annoying to see 1/4 screen boot logo.

Thanks

I thought the MINI MX-G and MINI MX III are pretty much the same thing, but it seems they differ more...

• Splash screen resolution depends on parameter passed by u-boot and that is last resolution set in Android. I have prepared a patch that fixes 1/4 screen splash at 4K so Gaudi please wait a bit, I need to compile and upload it. I'd appreciate if you can test it. :)

• Sorry, this is correct link for the latest test version: LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-7.0-devel-20160823222143-r23289-g475b5e8.tar

I've rebooted to android, set the resolution to 2160p60, then rebooted back to libreelec with this version.
    First I can see the bear logo (was it here before?) for a few sec then comes the libreelec logo but a little distorted (see the attachment) but it is full screen not quarter and according to the tv it is 2160p.