[SOLVED] 4k TV display capabilities

• Quote from kszaq

4K output doesn't work properly due to patches that fix resolution switching. To troubleshoot this, I ask 4K TV owners to paste output of cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/disp_cap command. Please don't paste this for 1080p TVs.

Philips 55pus8809/12

Issue: 2160p50 and 2160p60 GUI displays only on quarter screen

Edited once, last by kszaq (August 21, 2016 at 7:51 PM).

• Philips 43PUT4900/12

Same issue. Mini MX 1GB.

• Please try this build for GUI resolution during 4K playback, update only from 7.0.2.006!
    2016-08-21-4K-RTLWiFi

Thank you.
    The quarter screen problem solved but unfortunately the 4k playback has some glitches in every 3-5 seconds especially when the GUI overlay is on.

Edit:
    I've repeated the test with the next version (LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-7.0-devel-20160821184509-r23281-gc0127b4.tar) too and got the same result. Maybe they differs in wifi stuff only.

Edited once, last by Pelican (August 21, 2016 at 11:08 PM).

• Thank you.
    The quarter screen problem solved but unfortunately the 4k playback has some glitches in every 3-5 seconds especially when the GUI overlay is on.

Edit:
    I've repeated the test with the next version (http://kszaq.libreelec.tv/s905/test/2016...0127b4.tar) too and got the same result. Maybe they differs in wifi stuff only.

Yes, second test version only has some updates to Bluetooth drivers with no changes to 4K support.

The 3-5 seconds lag appear as it seems that S905 is not capable of 4K playback + 4K GUI rendering at the same time. I will assemble a 2nd build for you today with different approach to GUI scaling to test.
    [hr]

Will you recommend to use one of these versions or stick to the official 006 build?

The test versions also have improvements in RAM management, I would recommend sticking to them.

Edited once, last by kszaq (August 22, 2016 at 7:45 AM).

• The 3-5 seconds lag appear as it seems that S905 is not capable of 4K playback + 4K GUI rendering at the same time. I will assemble a 2nd build for you today with different approach to GUI scaling to test.

I'm happy to test anything but I doubt it is an S905 issue. The 4k playback is flawless in version 005 with GUI res 2160p or 1080p with or without overlay.

Edited once, last by Pelican (August 22, 2016 at 11:05 AM).

• Please see below command output on a Beelink MiniMXIII 2gb/16gb:

LG 49UF8500

After upgrading to last test build:

I shall mention that 3840x2160p shows some glitches: flickering, whereas 4096x2160p looks fine.
    Only drawback is that refresh is maxed at 24 fps.

Any idea what smpte means?

Thanks

• kszaq what is the recommended way to update from 006 to the test builds of test ? Put the tar in the update folder and reboot? Or are other files needed, letdb.img etc.

My cheapo 55" 4k telly will arrive tomorrow for testing (Vestel/Digihome 55304UHDSM).

• Put the tar in the update folder and reboot?

Yes, after you updated to 006 there is no need for anything but putting tar/img.gz into update folder and rebooting. At this point I'm working on another version to fix performance rendering issues.

• Yes, after you updated to 006 there is no need for anything but putting tar/img.gz into update folder and rebooting. At this point I'm working on another version to fix performance rendering issues.

I copied the 4 files from target folder to the SD root. That's the same, isn't that?

• Almost. You have to rename KERNEL to kernel.img.
    [hr]
    Please try 2nd test build:
    2016-08-22-4K-test3

It will either be better or GUI won't show at all at 4K.

I have installed the new test version. Beelink Minimxiii booted fine, displaying GUI as a 1/4 size in the upper left corner. TV Info shows resolution as being 2160p60Hz.
    Adjusting settings to proper resolution renders a black screen.

I have rebooted using Yatse remote (no screen display to navigate menu) and same 1/4 screen issue (see picture).
    If I set resolution to 1080p, it works, going back to 2160p@24Hz renders black screen again.

See Logs attached. Newer is after reboot.