xorg issue x86_64

• i need to extract an recreate the SYSTEM squashfs file. how do i go about doing this

what i do not need to know:
    about anything in the /storage/.config unless i can use it to delete something in /etc/x11/ before xorg starts
    anything about the autorun.sh script unless i can use it to delete something in /etc/x11/ before xorg starts

what i do need to know:
    what compression method the system squashfs file uses
    if it is even indeed squashfs
    linux - What was the SquashFS compression method? - Super User ive tried this and it says 6, which is not on thelist and linux mints unsquashfs cant detect the compression method
    there is a xorg conflict i need to resolve in the genericx86_64 image, specifically i need to delete xorg-nvidia-legacy.conf if i remember correctly. as it causes xorg not to load and im using an amd card.

• chewitt

what i do not need to know:

about anything in the /storage/.config unless i can use it to delete something in /etc/x11/ before xorg starts

The problem is I need to REMOVE content. The file /etc/x11/xorg-nvidia-legacy.conf attempts to load even though there is a pcie graphics card installed (it tries to load that conf as well, one fails and Kodi doesn't show up)

• 5schatten  chewitt

so i uploaded my logs here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pxprex6vz4tuo2yaujdkyslnsacka6bv?usp=sharing

in them youll see how xorg tries to load /var/lib/nvidia.ko (which isnt there), and youll see how ive also taken everyones advice so far and made a xorg conf. now the first one, i just coppied from /etc/X11/xorg-radeon.conf and renamed. the second one i made myself following a guide both of them make the "a dependency failed for xserver" messege, xorg seems to start however the mouse pointer just flickers a few times. reading those logs indicate kodi crashing due to display 0.0 not supporting glx (or something) which is bs because after it flickers for a bit it reboots and goes into liberelec safe mode immediately upon next reboot.

is xorg-nvidia-legacy.conf even supposed to be the system anymore? if so why is the driver file it loads not there? i cant figure out why its even triggered

Edited once, last by Ae3NerdGod (October 22, 2018 at 7:17 AM).

• It's not clear which device you do want to use, but assuming it's the AMD card the following will blacklist the nVidia driver module and prevent it from being loaded at boot time; at which time only the AMD card should be usable and xorg.conf(s) shouldn't come into play.

Code
    echo "blacklist nvidia" > /storage/.config/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf
    reboot
  • tried that first buddy. no change. besides, the module doesnt even load because IT ISNT THERE and A XORG CONF FILE REFERENCES IT ANYWAYS. its very frustrating

• trying to use a Radeon HD 7570 man. id like to be able to get this working without having to recompile for every update. i cant figure out why xorg/-nvidia-legacy.conf is even triggering, as you can see theres no nvidia card in my lspci

• ^ the systemd journal clearly shows that udev detects an nVidia card so xorg-configure for nvidia-legacy is invoked according to:

LibreELEC.tv/96-nvidia.rules at a8b6f4c35dec2a4efb59ba1257f5ec36f4fdcc0d · chewitt/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

So create /storage/.config/udev.d/96-nvidia.rules with the content below and then reboot and the updated rule file (which if present overrules the embedded one) should prevent the nvidia card from triggering the xorg-configure process:

Code
    ACTION!="add|change", GOTO="end_video"
    SUBSYSTEM=="pci", ATTR{class}=="0x030000", ATTRS{vendor}=="0x10de", GOTO="subsystem_pci"
    GOTO="end_video"

LABEL="subsystem_pci"
    GOTO="end_video"

LABEL="end_video"

The next rule to be evaluated is 97-xorg.rules which should now match against the AMD card:

LibreELEC.tv/97-xorg.rules at amlogic · chewitt/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

In theory..

• That seems like it might work, I shall try it soon.

However, I did actually read that but it didn't tell me why it was being detected. The card in question (,onboard geforce 6150 I think) shows up NOWHERE. Not in lspci, not in /dev that I've found. Now that you've showed me those udev rules it seems like it just loads nvidia-legacy if it doesn't find a matching Id in that list but at the same time it gets called if there's nvidia pci devices present in general. Am i understanding that right? Because it definitely has nvidia ethernet and smbus and so-on

• I've no idea what triggers udev to match on nvidia-legacy rules (and why nvidia rules are evaluated separately and before other GPU rules is lost in the history of the project somewhere), but clearly it does match, so overriding the file should work and avoids anyone needing to learn new things about udev. It's either an exceptionally rare kernel/udev bug or there's something odd about your specific hardware. I'd guess the latter. It's not a scenario I recall seeing before and I've been hanging around various incarnations of the project since ~2011.