MAME with Leia / LibreElec 8.9.x?

• As I understand it, the new Kodi Leia includes built-in support for gaming emulators.

Are there any guides available for running MAME games (e.g. classic Donkey Kong) in LibreElec 8.9.x?

There are older guides for many distros and add-ons, but I'm looking for how to do this in with the new Kodi Leia capabilities.

• Until Kodi gets a native frontend for selecting games the easiest way is to use the Internet Archive Game Launcher addon by zachmorris Internet Archive Game Launcher

A lot of more info is available in the retroplayer section of the Kodi forum Kodi Community Forum - RetroPlayer

Basically you just have to install a mame addon from the LibreELEC repo and setup your controller. Then use the game launcher or enter the konami code, setup advancedsettings so that zip etc files aren't associated with audio/video files and select ROMs via the file list in the Games section of kodi and open them via the context menu / play with...

so long,

Hias

• Until Kodi gets a native frontend for selecting games the easiest way is to use the Internet Archive Game Launcher addon by zachmorris Internet Archive Game Launcher

I though that Leia will get also proper game front-end support (incl. Game selector), but seems I was wrong (mean my expectations).

Has that (native game-selecting front-end):

1) Never been on Leia roadmap (= not planned)?

2) Not in scope for the 1st "release"

3) Initially planned for Kodi "M"? (yeah I know, perhaps wrong place to ask) or

4) Front-end game-selector needs to done via a separate add-on in Kodi Leia

Appreciated :)

//t

• AFAIK a Kodi game frontend (plus all the kodi backend database stuff needed to manage this) had been planned for Kodi 18 / Leia but retroplayer / games turned out to be more work than expected, so this had to be moved to Kodi 19.

so long,

Hias

• Understood & shall keep on waiting.

Most likely will "jump along" with the IAGL or Retroplayer add-on, no patience to wait until Kodi 19/20 :D

I think there are a bunch of "How to play games in LE / Kodi with xyz" already, but I think it would be great to have somekind of summary with the upcoming LE release written in the Wiki perhaps?

Just a thought.

//t

• I just gave the Leia Game AddOn some tries, but failed each time.

Scummvm didn‘t even start.

DOS BOX started and left me with a black screen.

Vice 64 (Using IAGL) also started but hung with the loading message.