LibreELEC v8.90.005 blinking overlay remnants

• On my Intel® NUC NUC7CJYH with bios version 0044 I've managed to install LibreELEC v8.90.005 fine. Video also plays perfectly, but whenever I pause or get any kind of other HUD overlay the video starts blinking once the overlay disappears again.

Not sure how to exactly describe it, but this video shows what happens in the bottom left:

YouTube

Part of the overlay seems to remain in view while blinking intermittently. Only switching away from the video to the Kodi interface and back solves it.

I wonder whether this is caused by a Leia bug, an Intel UHD Graphics 600 driver issue or a setting I need to change. I've enabled all hardware assisted playback settings.

I've also tested Milhouse build #1005 but it has the same issue.

Thanks, Jorrit

• I had the same issue on my DN2820FYKH nuc.

I think I did a video calibration, then adjusted the video settings during playback. This seemed to get rid of it. But now I notice my playback settings are back to normal. ie zoom amount 1.0 & pixel ration 1.0 & I don't have the problem.

So, I don't know what solved it.

As an aside, I have heard, that some bios updates on some NUC's are causing the IR not to work.

• Unfortunately it didn't help and actually made things worse by having corrupted parts at the bottom even before an overlay is shown:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

My video settings are as follows:

• Deinterlace method: VAAPI - Bob
    • Video scaling method: bilinear
    • View mode: Normal
    • Zoom amount: 1.00
    • Vertical shift: 0.00
    • Pixel ratio: 1.00
    • Orientation: From metadata
    • Post processing: disabled
    • Brightness: 50%
    • Contrast: 50%
    • Non-linear stretch: disabled
    • Tone mapping: Reinhard
    • Tone mapping parameter: 1.00
    • Stereoscopic #d mode of video: Auto
    • Dithering: disabled
    • Colour management: disabled
    • Use limited colour range: enabled
    • Number of bufers used by graphics driver: 2
    • Adjust display refresh rate: Always
    • Sync playback to display: disabled
    • Minimise black bars: Off
    • Display 4:3 video as: Normal
    • Render method: Auto detect
    • Enable HQ scalers for scaling above: 20%
    • Use MPEG-2 VAAPI: enabled
    • Use MPEG-4 VAAPI: enabled
    • Use VC-1 VAAPI: enabled
    • Use VP8 VAAPI: enabled
    • Use VP9 VAAPI: enabled
    • Use HEVC VAAPI: enabled

Unfortunately because of the quite new Gemini Lake chipset I can't test with a stable build to see whether it performs better. Could it have something to do with the drivers for the UHD 600 GPU? Are there any logs worth collecting to narrow down what causes it?

• I adjusted the zoom amount, & pixel ratio, in combination with video calibration.

I'm afraid I wouldn't know what logs are needed. Hopefully someone else can help you further.

It irritated me so much, I did a fresh install of an earlier version, but as I said, I have since upgraded back.

My suggestion is to do a fresh install to usb stick, rather than changing your main install.

• I’m having the exact same problem with NUC7CJYS - which I bought on the weekend.

I’m using LibreELEC v8.90.006. I’ve tired to use the 8.2.5 but I get the Failed to start xorg error which others have reported (I applied the fix for that but it didn’t work).

So given I’m left with the Alphas it’s a tad frustrating. Not a dealbreaker, just annoying.

• I managed to improve the situation by switching from View mode: Normal to View mode: Original size and then move the artifacts out of view via the video calibration without loosing parts of the video itself.

• I’ll try that out. Thanks.

Hopefully it’s something that will sort itself out when the build moves into beta etc. Unless it’s an issue with the GPU.

Out of curiosity, given you have a similar NUC to me, do you get the xorg error when installing a stable build?

• Aside from playing around with video calibration are there any ideas on how the issue raised by the OP might be fixed? Or do we simply wait for the next Alpha build and hope that sorts it out?