MiniDLNA not reading media from USB drive, but Kodi can - how to fix this?

• I'm running Generic.x86_64-8.90.004 and I've added music and movie files to Library from the attached USB drive.

I'm using BubbleUpNP to control the playback, so I select "Kodi (LibreELEC)" as my Library and "Kodi (LibreELEC)" as my Renderer. I have other Renderers on my network (Sony Blueray player and Sony Receiver). My media files (music and movies are organised in folders. The problem I have is that I cannot make Kodi broadcast only the folder structure for browsing and playback.

Note, that BubbleUPNP displays only what Kodi broadcasts across DLNA/UPNP network.

1) When I open Kodi library in BubbleUPNP, I get 2 menu items - 1) Music Library and 2) Video Library.

2) When I open Video Library link, I get 3 sub-folders (categories) - Movies, Files and Playlists.

3) I don't care for Categories, Genres and Playlists, I want to see only one option - FILES, which shows me the folders

4) When I open Music Library link, I get 13 sub-folders (categories) - Genres, Artists, Albums ... but there's NO option to browse ALL FILES

Is there and add-on that works as a wrapper to configure that?

Edited once, last by bpr323 (October 14, 2018 at 8:40 AM).

• The problem I have is that I cannot make Kodi broadcast only the folder structure for browsing and playback.

You are already giving the answer to your own question:

Note, that BubbleUPNP displays only what Kodi broadcasts across DLNA/UPNP network.

UPnP/DLNA in Kodi only provides the scraped items (video/music) which are in both libraries. It does not send out the folders and files themselves.

If you only want the folders and files, use a simple UPnP server like ReadyMedia (formerly MiniDLNA).

• Thank you!

I've installed the MiniDLNA and it's up and running. I can also see it in the list of media servers on my BubbleUPNP controller - all good so far.

However, when I connect to it on http://192.168.1.35:8200/#remote, there's 0 files in the library.

In other words, MiniDLNA is running in parallel to LE's built-in media server, but media files are all scanned to LE default media server's Library.

There's no option to choose which media server I want to use.

How do I tell Kodi to scan media files to MiniDLNA Library instead?

• Please, I'm a beginner and need some help.

I've successfully installed MiniDLNA as a legitimate add-on, and it works.

So how do I scan media files to MiniDLNA Library using LibreELEC menu?

I'm guessing I'll need to edit 2 or more conf files in order to:

a) turn off LE's media server and its Library, and

b) map media folders as sources for MiniDLNA Library

c) make sure when I select "re-scan" from LE menu it scans media folders to MiniDLNA Library

Could you please tell me the path(s) to the right files and how to achieve c) ?

Thank you

• I've successfully installed MiniDLNA as a legitimate add-on, and it works.

So how do I scan media files to MiniDLNA Library using LibreELEC menu?

That sounds like a great chicken-and-egg situation...

MiniDLNA is to work independently from Kodi as a file server. You could create OS mounts for your media files for MiniDLNA to use.

Kodi should scan/scrape sources that use SMB, NFS or any other of the file protocols. UPnP/DLNA is not one of them.

• Hi Klojum, could you please expand on this - "You could create OS mounts for your media files for MiniDLNA to use."

My media files are on a mounted USB drive named WD3Tb

My (Library fully working) \\LIBREELEC\Userdata\sources.xml file reads:

- <music>

<default pathversion="1" />

- <source>

<name>Music</name>

<path pathversion="1">/media/WD3Tb/MUSIC/</path>

<allowsharing>true</allowsharing>

</source>

</music>

I'm editing \\LIBREELEC\Userdata\addon_data\service.minidlna\config\minidlna.conf like so:

media_dir=A,/media/WD3Tb/MUSIC

inotify=yes

friendly_name=MiniDLNA

when I look in service.log

[2018/09/18 00:14:19] /storage/jenkins/workspace/Addons/All_Add-ons/build.LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.0-devel/minidlna-138d03d/minidlna.c:668: error: Media directory "A,/media/WD3Tb/MUSIC" not accessible [No such file or directory]

What am I doing wrong in the minidlna conf file?

Edited once, last by bpr323 (September 17, 2018 at 3:46 PM).

• I've installed the MiniDLNA from the official add-on repo - after updating to the latest Milhouse 9.0

MiniDLNA works, but it is unable to scan media files on my USB drive (WD3Tb) - which Kodi library scans without a problem, though.

I've edited the minidlna.conf in \\LIBREELEC\Userdata\addon_data\service.minidlna\config\

Kodi uses /media/WD3Tb as path to my USB in Library Sources for videos and music, so I used the same path to configure Minidlna.

media_dir=/media/WD3Tb

This doesn't work. Looking at service.log there's an error - [2018/10/14 17:10:29] /storage/jenkins/workspace/Addons/All_Add-ons/build.LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.0-devel/minidlna-138d03d/minidlna.c:668: error: Media directory "./var/media/WD3Tb" not accessible [No such file or directory]

From Chewitt's explanation above, I vaguely understand that the issue is caused by Minidlna "user" not granted same read permissions as Kodi on the /media/* folder, which is a virtual directory. OR there's some problem with the way my USB drive is mounted/configured for Kodi and Minidlna.

I log in with SSH as root, but also get an error:

LibreELEC:~ # /dev/disk/by-label/WD3Tb

-sh: /dev/disk/by-label/WD3Tb: Permission denied

Worst of all, playing a song directly in Kodi, it starts playing then stops

Checking miniDLNA service.log - there's an error:

/storage/jenkins/workspace/Addons/All_Add-ons/build.LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.0-devel/minidlna-138d03d/upnphttp.c:1065: warn: HTTP Connection closed unexpectedly.

1) Could someone please provide the commands I need to run in SSH - step by step for Minidlna to be able scan my USB?

2) And what's causing the "closing of HTTP connection" - how do i fix this?

Is Milhouse 9.0 update causing this, and should I reinstall from scratch the stock LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.90.006.img??

• I've installed from zip the correct minidlna service add-on for Milhouse 9.0 build, on top of the generic add-on from official LE repo

I got the zip from CVH's repository here - http://cvh.libreelec.tv/addons/9.0/minidlna/generic/

Kodi reported on UI that "Minidlna add-on was updated successfully"

Upon further investigation, there are 2 separate "minidlna.conf" files on the system:

LibreELEC:~ # find . -name minidlna.conf

./.kodi/addons/service.minidlna/config/minidlna.conf

./.kodi/userdata/addon_data/service.minidlna/config/minidlna.conf

I've changed the friendly name to XYZ in the "userdata" conf to test which of the two conf's is taking effect

My BubbleUPNP controller correctly reports there are 2 media servers available - XYZ and Kodi (LibreELEC).

The "DLNA Server" used in the other conf - in "addons" folder, doesn't show up on the network, and it's not having any effect.

QUESTION - What is the purpose of the minidlna.conf in the "addons" folder if the minidlna.conf in "userdata" overrides it?

The service.log in "userdata" after minidlna killall and restart reads that:

/storage/jenkins/workspace/Addons/All_Add-ons/build.LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.0-devel/minidlna-138d03d/upnphttp.c:1065: warn: HTTP Connection closed unexpectedly

The error "HTTP Connection closed unexpectedly" (and stoppage of Kodi playback after 30 sec) which started with "official" 8.2 version of MiniDLNA add-on, persists with CVH's version of minidlna service for Milhouse 9.0

Could someone please help me here?

Edited once, last by bpr323 (October 15, 2018 at 12:18 AM).