Could the sound quality of music improve without volume control?

• Thanks a lot to the team of Libreelec for this great tool!

I am happy with the quality of the music from flac files playing through my avr by hdmi/optical.

But the sound is even better when the music is playing using libreelec as upnp server. Maybe kodi needs to process pcm info before sending to hdmi/optical to allow volume control -maybe some other features- that could be degrade slightly the sound quality.

How to volume control could be bypassed to get original pcm signal by hdmi/optical?

(S912 - Minix U9 - Libreelec 8.2.4.1)

Edited once, last by gercabace (September 1, 2018 at 3:56 PM).

• Only Passthrough Audio can bypass Kodi's volume control, PCM cannot I believe.

I would also make sure these Kodi Settings > System > Audio options are disabled first:

Number of Channels > whatever you Sound equiptment supports. SPDIF only supports 2.0 LPCM channels.

Output configuration > Best Match

Maintain Original Volume on Downmix > OFF

Boost center channel when downmixing > 0DB

Here is a OSMC Vero 4K thread that will interest you regarding AMLogic S9xx Linux & FLAC 24bit:

Can Vero do bit-perfect playback? - Vero 4K / Vero 4K + - OSMC Forums

The AMLogic Linux Kernel audio mods @graham8 talks about over there are also in the AML S9xx LE 8.2.5 releases found here:

LE Google Drive Folder

I do not know enough minute detail about Kodi audio to be of any further help.

• I have updated to LE 8.2.5 and change some of those settings:

- Number of Channels > 2 (unchanged)

- Output configuration > Best Match (unchanged)

- Maintain Original Volume on Downmix > OFF (changed from ON)

- Booost center channel when downmixing > 0DB (changed from 10dB)

and ... it works!! - Now, I cannot discern between playing by upnp and hdmi/optical.

Many thanks for your help!