Videostrong(Mecool) VS-RK3399

• 1) Is this build hardcoded to speak to Videostrong hardware, or does it contain the full DTB tree for the tons of rk3399 variants, such that if I threw it on my pine rockpro64, it would figure itself out?

2) What kernel version is it? ( if it's not exactly 4.4.138 I will be unable to use it, because my designware/synposis "i2s"/bridge driver goes bad past 4.4.138 which is what my rockpro64 uses for HDMI-carried audio I think?; anyway >4.4.138 floods dmesg with 'fail to clear' errors and audio goes -1,000x speed, sounds like a demon when you play a file if using >4.4.138). How would I even begin getting help with that?

This build was never intended to drive anything but vs-rk3399. Even if SoCs are same, vendors pick and choose what features to implement and how to implement them. So you might get lucky if this build works on your board, but no guarantee.

Also this build uses kernel v4.4.154.

Edited once, last by npcomplete (December 29, 2018 at 1:59 AM).

• Hi

Im quite new to this board and Im not feeling good yet reg. software changes on this hardware....

Question - how to force VS RK3399 to boot from SD Card? is this suppose to work just like that? I have read that boot order is SPI>eMMC>SD (Boot option - Rockchip open source Document)

While I have still original rom in eMMC - how to boot from SD card - from documentation it seems that I should short the eMMC clock to GND;

(Rockusb - Rockchip open source Document) - am I right - do You have some photo which pins are those?

• Hi all in 2019!!

This build working exclude 4K resolution. Back to 20181227

How much time is needed to boots? Did you had to shortcut eMMC? do You use only HDMI? Im not getting any input in TV via HDMI (no signal - as I recall) Did you have done anything special to make it work?

• Not. Boot by default.

One thing!

If you use preinstalled by manufacturer two OS(android/debian) maybe this is the problem. Button switching between this OS working? You lodeded into Debian?

In my case i use latest android jul 2018 build uploaded to the ROM with android tools.

Edited 3 times, last by Integra (January 3, 2019 at 2:32 AM).

• I have received board with preinstalled Android only. And Im not even sure which "release".

Currently I'm running Ubuntu16 from here MEGA and it lacks Hardware acceleration. Today I will be testing different libs from here libmali/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu at rockchip · rockchip-linux/libmali · GitHub and I hope one will be working properly. From nice things reg. this Ubuntu is that it does not break after apt update like it was with Debian and bluetooth seems to start seeing other BT devices however I was not successful reg. pairing. If HWA will works then I will be quite happy. From downsides of Ubuntu -> SD reader is not recognized at all but I'm not planning to use it in this OS.

Which Android did You loaded? This one? MEGA

BTW. I have just found quite new Android image from 19th of December -> MEGA

• Not. Boot by default.

One thing!

If you use preinstalled by manufacturer two OS(android/debian) maybe this is the problem. Button switching between this OS working? You lodeded into Debian?

In my case i use latest android jul 2018 build uploaded to the ROM with android tools.

As mentioned I had only one system preinstalled but I have tested double system with Debian/Adnroid from here MEGA

Switching is tricky but it worked. However Andoid was poorly optimzed - same as Debian which in addition after apt update has lost any GL capabilities and I was not even able to open any browsers (FF/Chromium)

Try to press quickly reset button several times after power on.

And...maybe try to connect to the pc monitor over hdmi and check.

Edited once, last by Integra (January 8, 2019 at 5:30 AM).

• hello friend.

i bought Videostrong(Mecool) VS-RK3399 tv box.

it s very heating and vorking slovly.

i need your help what must i do?

pls help me ?(

There are far better RK3399 devices with much better Android and Linux, LE support.

Videostrong support is very lacking and all their Mecool brand devices have been blocked by Google, blacklisting their Widevine DRM.

So the best would be to return it.