OS X - SFTP transfer over wifi to an attached USB HDD

• I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with SFTP to wirelessly transfer files from a Mac to a USB HDD attached to your box? I have set this up via Cyberduck and can definitely read/write to the drive, my issue is the transfer speed maxes out at 1.5Mb/s which seems kind of slow. I read elsewhere that this could be a caveat of having the drive formatted as NTFS and that I should consider using Ext3?

• If the drive will only be used with LibreELEC you can format as EXT3 or EXT4 and the filesystem drivers run in the kernel. If you need the drive to be compatible with macOS or Windows you need to use exFAT or NTFS and the filesystem drivers run in userspace which is considerably slower than running in-kernel. You can have compatibility *or* speed, not compatibility *and* speed.

• Makes sense thanks chewitt . I'm going to format a drive and see how that performs with transferring a few files before I commit to transferring my whole library over to EXT3/4 drives. I'd also like to give a few tools a try that claim to give you read/write access to EXT2/3/4 on the Mac, if they work well enough that would be a bonus.