Bluetooth controller suddenly stops being powered on

• Hi there,

I am using the official Libreelec 8.2.5 on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ and admiring the work that devs put on this marvel.

However, I am having trouble with the bluetooth connection to my audio setup (an SMSL AD18, if that's of any help). The device is seen as a headset, and has been working flawlessly with my phone and computer before.

I am able to pair the device. It works for some time, sometimes with a choppy sound (buffer issue?) but then the bluetooth connection drops. It usually takes 10 min or so before dropping.

Actually, I found that the bluetooth controller stops being powered on altogether. FYI, I am using a 3A power adapter, and there is nothing else running other than playing mp3 from my NAS, so it should be enough power for the Pi.

Here is what I get in bluetoothclt when this happens:

diagnose:

trying to power back on:

Code
    [bluetooth]# power on
    Failed to set power on: org.bluez.Error.Failed

Trying to power off, then on:

Code
    [bluetooth]# power off
    Changing power off succeeded
    [bluetooth]# power on
    Failed to set power on: org.bluez.Error.Failed

Only a reboot seems to be able to restore the controller in a good state.

Before you ask, WiFi is disabled, so this is really a Bluetooth issue (I read about issues on BT with sharing frequencies).

Any idea about what is happening?

• The internal BT on the RPi3 is not the brightest cookie in the world and really, IMO, shouldn't be used for audio. If you want audio over BT get a decent BT USB dongle.

You could try 8.90.003 Here which will have newer fixes and see if that improves things

• 3B+ is considerably better than B3 for radio things. The next alpha release will have some BT firmware improvements for the RPi3B+ that reduce interference with wireless (which is usually active at the same time even if you're using Ethernet) which might help.