LibreElec i686 (32bits) build - heimdal 7.4. error

• Hello,

The reasons why 32bits support for x86 platform was dropped back in the time are explained by Chewitt here on the forum.

I belong to the ~1.5K users who made run OpenElec on a 32bits HTPC/PVR at the time. The host was a carefully crafted for the purpose slim Asus computer. Thanks to VDPAU, the GPU did most of the work, keeping the CPU load at an average 30-50%, when watching and recording two DVB-S2 HD streams simultaneously. A demonstration that receiving sat TV does not require a powerful hardware.

Months ago with a friend of mine, we tried to build back a 32bits version of LibreElec 8.2.4 and install it on the machine. The "Compile" wiki page gave us a start. We then achieved to reactivate the build in 32bits, we worked around caveats with openssl, zlib, and at present, we are stuck on an weird issue with heimdal. May someone give us a clue on it ?

The error :

When compiling, we are facing with the same error as one described in the following change report :

The weird issue :

In order to fix the error, it should be enough to update haimdal to its 7.4.0 version. This is what we did. Heimdal 7.4.0 is present for building LibreElec 8.2.4. Heimdal 7.4.0 is the very version which fixes that very bug. In other words, that bug should not pop up any more. We wonder if the build environment of LibreElec may trigger back such a bug ?

Thanks in advance for your comments and advices.

Our cross compilations were completed on a x86_64 machine with gcc 6. The goal of our work (should we succeed in it !) is to share the i686 32bits build on that forum, with anybody interested.

• Official Post

I think that most of the developers are engaged in the release of LE 9 - the chances of getting a reply for a "legacy" system is unlikely. I too have a X86/32 which I would like to "recycle" with LE.

At the end of the day - if you get a reply - then great but "Don't hold you breath"