LibreELEC-RR 9.x [ Emulationstation | Retroarch | Pegasus | DolphinQT | Moonlight | Chrome | Spotify ]

• If your X.org is locked to 30Hz for some reason, then using X11/opengl for RA will definitely not be a smooth experience. I'd try switching to the X modesetting driver, and also make sure that you are using KMS in RA.

Thanks for your answer. How do i switch to that driver? i only see:

gl

vulkan

null

etc

And how do i make sure i use KMS? I mean, since i don't use the "nokms" it should be on KMS right?

• X.org, not RA.

Refresh rate problem after update from Openelec

Look in your RA logs to see if you're on KMS. I can't speak for what's been done in this build.

Will look that then!

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

That's my log btw.

UPDATE:

i tried with the:

1. Section "Device"
    2. Identifier "Intel Graphics"
    3. Driver "modesetting"
    4. EndSection

But i just got a black screen after rebooting "/

My default xorg-i915.conf reads:

Section "Device"

Identifier "Device0"

Driver "intel"

VendorName "INTEL Corporation"

Option "TripleBuffer" "false"

Option "TearFree" "false"

EndSection

• As you can see, it's using DRM/KMS with a resolution of 1360x768 @ 60Hz. The X.org DDX driver uses modesetting to set the refresh rate, so DRM/KMS will use the same refresh rate. Which is why I suggest switching to the modesetting driver, to see if it will run at 60Hz.

• I see, well I've tried every video setting i could find.. Turned of Vsync, enabled threaded video, tried to force a resolution, tried difference delays/changed latencys etc. It still runs very slow on LE9 "/

Also tried every PSX core.. on LE 8 i used PSX Rearmed which worked perfectly.

You used LE8 Remix or did you use LE8 vanilla + Gamestarter Addon? Basically you could use escalades build since his kernel, emulators, frontends and stuff are quite up-to-date. I only "forked" because I need Kodi 18 and the underlaying build system has some new features.

Well do you get a blank screen with enabled KMS and manually set display? Do you have "threaded video" enabled? Because this option made my psx emulator stuttering too.

I only see 52.5 "Vertical Refresh Rate" which basically means your panel runs at 52Hz as stated in Xorg.log . IMHO "estimated screen framerate" means RA runs/renders about 32fps so basically it just runs pretty slow. Anyway I guess you have to run games at ~50Hz or disable vsync. When I run Dolphin PAL60 Games at 50Hz they stutter too.

escalade

I know you added xorg-server: use modesetting for atom/celeron grade gpu's since KMS runs fine at my Celeron J3455 & i3-6100 so I did not. Otherwise it's just vanilla LE9 -> is there anything I have to consider?

Edited once, last by 5schatten (July 10, 2018 at 2:09 PM).

• You used LE8 Remix or did you use LE8 vanilla + Gamestarter Addon? Basically you could use escalades build since his kernel, emulators, frontends and stuff are quite up-to-date. I only "forked" because I need Kodi 18 and the underlaying build system has some new features.

Well do you get a blank screen with enabled KMS and manually set display? Do you have "threaded video" enabled? Because this option made my psx emulator stuttering too.

I only see 52.5 "Vertical Refresh Rate" which basically means your panel runs at 52Hz as stated in Xorg.log . IMHO "estimated screen framerate" means RA runs/renders about 32fps so basically it just runs pretty slow.

I restarted again with the xorg.conf, now it works, it DOES show 60 hz now instead of 30. but it laggs a LOT.. i think it lags more than before. And yes, i tried using official LE8 + gamestarter. It worked very smooth (except that my controller doesn't work with that build)

• Update you RA cores and try to grab "mednafen_psx_hw_libretro.so" because my build ships with "mednafen_psx_libretro.so"

I guess LE8+Gamestarter runs faster because it uses another core / build option. Same goes for escalades build both build the mednafen_psx_hw_libretro core.

https://github.com/bite-your-idols/gamestarter/tree/master/packages/libretro-cores-gen

LibreELEC.tv/package.mk at le82 · escalade/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

I rebuild the package with these flags

Code
    make_target() {
    make HAVE_OPENGL=1
    }

I suspect your system is to slow to run the core fast enough with software rendering enabled.

• Well, i tried the "Beetle HW core". And that just crashed retroarch.. but i will try.

Can you explain step by step what i need to do? I mean, how come i can't just drag the .so core into the retroarch folder? Do i need to download Openelec from github and compile everything? New at this.. never compiled anything before haha

or can i do this from ssh within LE?

• Oh nice! Btw i used PSX Rearmed when i tried it on LE8, that worked the smoothest, but Beetle worked to, except HW since it just crashes Retroarch.

Sure about that? AFAIK pcsx_rearmed is used for arm systems like the RPi and I use it for them too. But maybe lakka builds it for generic too. Anyway watch this video to understand why you can't just exchange some programs

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Sure about that? AFAIK pcsx_rearmed is used for arm systems like the RPi and I use it for them too.

Yep 100% sure. I'm even playing using it right now, i got LE8 on a USB stick in the meantime haha

Watched the video.. a little too advanced for me, but a little of it makes sense to me haha

Btw "Right now I'm buidling the same core lakka / gamestarter uses to ensure it's not a core problem."

Do i just wait for you to release it or do i still need to do something? I really don't like being spoonfed.. and you've already helped me a lot but I'm not sure what to do haha

And about that software/hardware stuff. the laptop I'm using is indeed very slow, but if i look in the PSX Rearmed core settings it does say "Software" as the renderer.. and it still runs perfect.

Edited 3 times, last by psrkallez06 (July 10, 2018 at 3:44 PM).

• Well I did some testing. RA runs at "full speed" so 59,99 -> ~60Hz on my i3 system but reaches only 56,xxHz as long as KMS is enabled. Also my RPi runs at about 60Hz so I guess there is a link between KMS and some Intel driver stuff at the low-end Intel systems. Once KMS is disabled the j3455 runs at full speed too.

It's not really a core related problem, once RA runs at full speed the core will too. Well as long as the system can handle the core.

Well this did indeed the trick:

xorg-server: use modesetting for atom/celeron grade gpu's · escalade/LibreELEC.tv@d9c63e8 · GitHub

Edited 2 times, last by 5schatten (July 10, 2018 at 4:17 PM).

• 1. Beetle-psx doesn't use hw unless you specify that in core options

2. Don't use cores from the updater as they are built for a different distribution (i believe debian)

3. Last I heard gamestarter just picked binary cores from my builds, not sure about these days

• escalade

I guess this commit is also important then since cat /run/libreelec/xorg-settings.conf fails to find i915 on Atom/Celeron systems?

retroarch: default to kms if xorg uses modesetting driver · escalade/LibreELEC.tv@54fc379 · GitHub

So test for i915 (i3 and above) and run in KMS mode if no nokms file is found

Test Xorg.log for kms (Atom/Celeron) and run in KMS mode if no nokms file is found

-> is that what it shoudl actually do? Because the latter didn't work for me.

i3-6100

Xorg.0.log

[ 7.423] (II) intel(0): Using Kernel Mode Setting driver: i915, version 1.6.0 20180308

retroarch.log

[INFO] [GL]: Found GL context: kms

j3455

Xorg.0.log

[ 15.006] (II) modesetting: Driver for Modesetting Kernel Drivers: kms

retroarch.log

[INFO] [GL]: Found GL context: x

The i3 KMS detection works fine and the j3455 uses the modesetting driver as intented but still starts RA with x context.

If I change -o to | | it works. I guess it's intended to be an or. Isn't it?

if grep -q i915 /run/libreelec/xorg-settings.conf || grep -q kms /var/log/Xorg.0.log && [ ! -f /storage/.config/retroarch/nokms ]; then

I compiled the HW variant and it got distorted video output right out of the box so I guess it starts with opengl/vulkan context if it's available & not disabled at least thats what the RA log stated.

Some work some don't but you're right it's not a reliable way to determine if something is messed up.

Yes I've read something about that, also he tried my RA binary before you've updated to the latest version.

Anyway thx for your help -> much appreciated!

psrkallez06

What kind of CPU is installed in your notebook?

Edited 10 times, last by 5schatten (July 10, 2018 at 5:47 PM).

• Indeed, didn't actually test it yet :P -o is only valid when using [ or test. It's ugly, was always thinking to make it a choice under LE settings when I had the time.