Geniatech Mygica HDStar DVB-S2 USB HD not working

• chewitt my main server back end is an x86_64 based system with two quad PCIe cards using TVH and full Kodi as a front end on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. It’s absolutely fine.

I was trying to get the MyGica USB DVBS working on the RockPro64 purely as I had it lying around and was interested to see how DVBS would operate on a SBC. It works on Windows fine, tunes all available channels on 28.2e and is very watchable.

The fact that there is actually three revisions of this unit obviously doesn’t help trying to locate the correct firmware for the model I have. It seems v 1.5 was working at one stage, v2.1 not sure and no reports of v3.0 working.

I’m continuing to investigate this elsewhere and hoping that I come up with a solution for LE at some stage.

• An interesting post from the OSMC forum in 2019. Appears there is a working solution to getting this unit working. Not sure how relevant this is in 2022 or if this solution could be adapted to work in LE but I thought it would be worth mentioning again.

Geniatech HDStar v3 DVB-S2 Not Working?
    Finaly made work HD Star v3 in last osmc build (OSMC June 2019 2019.06-1) Run sudo rm -rf /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/media/* Install this…
    discourse.osmc.tv
  • The problem isn't firmware, the problem is MyGiga "drivers" are compiled to a specific release of the kernel for Ubuntu so you need to build and install specific v4l media tree. On OSMC it is a little bit easier but still a pain, and you'd need to redo it for each build.

You are better off using a tuner supported in the kernel.

• It’s working fine with Kodi in Windows 10. I’ll use it on a spare laptop I have. My DVBS needs are more than covered in Linux / Kodi with PCIe cards on an x86_64 machine so I’m not too bothered either way. No need for purchasing additional DVBS USB units just to get one working on the SBC running LE. I’m assuming that in 2022 without some serious intervention this unit will not work in the Linux environment.

• I am confused since Kodi on Windows 10 or any platform won't support tuners, you need a backend for that.

I am running a backends on several SBC's RPi's and a Pine Quartz 64a for LE, and also on CE devices and for kernel supported tuners they normally work fine. Powering the USB devices and of course using SD cards are the biggest issues.

Martin

• I am confused since Kodi on Windows 10 or any platform won't support tuners, you need a backend for that.

I am running a backends on several SBC's RPi's and a Pine Quartz 64a for LE, and also on CE devices and for kernel supported tuners they normally work fine. Powering the USB devices and of course using SD cards are the biggest issues.

Martin

emveepee I have NextPVR acting as the server on Windows along with Kodi as the front end.

Edited once, last by petediscrete: Merged a post created by petediscrete into this post. (November 1, 2022 at 11:45 PM).

• I can just repeat, do not buy Geniatech DVB devices they have proven that they have basically no driver support and make all kind of problems.

If you want a properly working DVB setup (especially DVB-S/S2) use a Sat>IP device, done. Linux has already proven that DVB can work/not work at every version differently. So every update is gambling.

• CvH Whatever about Geniatech equipment I’ve successfully used various other DVBS PCI/PCIe cards and USB tuners in various flavours of Linux for over 20 years with great success, particularly Hauppauge with the help of Brad Love and his Media tree https://github.com/b-rad-NDi/Ubun…-kernel-builder Anything that’s presented to him is quickly resolved and a solution is found.

Maybe those who are looking for an “out of the box” solution in Linux and its variants are not willing to put in a bit of effort so may want to follow your advice but again you are expressing a personal opinion.

In fact I’m working on this GitHub project using a TBS USB tuner and again thanks to another very clever developer who has developed an application far superior to any product on offer from Windows

GitHub - deeptho/neumodvb: neumoDVB DVB-S2/DVB-T/DVB-C settop box and DX program for Linux
    neumoDVB DVB-S2/DVB-T/DVB-C settop box and DX program for Linux - GitHub - deeptho/neumodvb: neumoDVB DVB-S2/DVB-T/DVB-C settop box and DX program for Linux
    github.com
  • petediscrete have your tried to build a MyGiga device on Linux? They are a disaster, they require a specific kernel, they don't provide binary objects for all platforms and their support is nothing like what b-rad offers. While the Hauppauge approach to building the linux-media TV works on generic Linux, it doesn't fit the LE model, which is why you should stick with the many kernel supported device.

Note that today NextPVR server for LE was released for LE11 and the LE10 release should be soon. It uses the base server .Netcore software you are using on Windows with an interface to Linux's libdvbv5 for local tuner devices and you can judge for yourself whether or not you need SAT>IP or an external backend. I agree with you that local tuners generally work nicely (Windows supporting far more tuners), but I do find most users who don't want to pirate IPTV are now buying SAT>IP or Silicon Dust HDHR devices.

• emveepee i wouldn’t really be interested in using DVBS on a SBC. It was just out of pure curiosity I tried the MyGica USB on the RockPro64 and once I researched the back story behind this unit it got consigned to an old Windows laptop using NextPVR as a backend with Kodi as the frontend. I’ll be sticking with my DVBS PCIe tuners on my X86_64 machine currently running TVH server and full Kodi frontend. It works flawlessly.

LE on the RockPro64 is at the centre of my audio system outputting all my audio needs to a pair of monoblock amps via my Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 100. Perfect combination in my opinion.