Volumio vs LibreElec

• It would seem to me that someone with the skills and motivation could develop an audio/music only based skin with no unwanted video related GUI items. The Chorus web interface is certainly a nice one for music, something along those lines for remote control might be the right compliment. All this would be more of a KODI generic effort and not specific to LE.

I don't see any need to strip out any other LE components, the only downside is maybe more frequent updates than you'd desire.

Library management might be the only issue. Do you really want your music clients managing the library? Or do you want it server managed?

Edited once, last by DanPackMan (July 3, 2018 at 4:50 PM).

• It would seem to me that someone with the skills and motivation could develop an audio/music only based skin with no unwanted video related GUI items. The Chorus web interface is certainly a nice one for music, something along those lines for remote control might be the right compliment. All this would be more of a KODI generic effort and not specific to LE.

I don't see any need to strip out any other LE components, the only downside is maybe more frequent updates than you'd desire.

Library management might be the only issue. Do you really want your music clients managing the library? Or do you want it server managed?

You're right, a skin and web interface would need to be for Kodi rather than LE. Though the skin should be designed specifically for an attached 7 - 10 inch touchscreen, and the web interface designed for a smartphone screen. What may work well on a TV or desktop screen becomes a challenge on far smaller touchscreens; where the control buttons, options and library sections are just too small to be of any practical use. Access via a mobile web browsers can also be a bit hit-and miss.

I suspect that the best option might be to create a web interface to manage the settings and libraries via a desktop, and also rework the official Kodi mobile remote app to create a new app with audio / music-specific browsing, playback & volume control. Then connect your Kodi box to a digital amp for an instant 21st century hi-fi.

Hope you'll forgive me if I've misunderstood the library management questions. I would manage a Kodi music box in the same way as I manage my films and shows. Which is my LE box in the TV room (cellar) pulling its content from a NAS in the office upstairs. Isn't that what most people do with their Kodi / LibreElec boxes? Though hopefully not from my upstairs office.

• Hope you'll forgive me if I've misunderstood the library management questions. I would manage a Kodi music box in the same way as I manage my films and shows. Which is my LE box in the TV room (cellar) pulling its content from a NAS in the office upstairs. Isn't that what most people do with their Kodi / LibreElec boxes? Though hopefully not from my upstairs office.

Yes, that is what most people do. But I've found having multiple clients each populating their own library to be a bit cumbersome/inefficient if you have a large music collection. They all have to update, they all can have the same scraping errors, etc.

Some create a central MySQL library to help, but I've found that requires me to update all the clients at the same time, which if you are using regular KODI and also LE those updates aren't even available at the same time.

Then there is often a desire to play music on other devices. For me that would be Chromecast Audio. Having one centrally managed music library that feeds all clients can be a very nice thing. If one is going to the effort to create music dedicated clients, it is something to consider.

I have switched to PLEX for my music library, and access via the PLEX addon in KODI. It has simplified my life.