Openssl compilation issue for 8.2.5 / 9

• I've been having a strange problem compiling openssl, either 1.0.1 or 1.0.2 from master.

Building for generic using a Deb 9 build host gives me:

making install in tools...

make[2]: Entering directory '/media/build/sam/LibreELEC.tv/build.LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.2.5/openssl-1.0.2l/.x86_64-libreelec-linux-gnu/tools'

make[2]: warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1. Add '+' to parent make rule.

make[2]: Leaving directory '/media/build/sam/LibreELEC.tv/build.LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.2.5/openssl-1.0.2l/.x86_64-libreelec-linux-gnu/tools'

installing libcrypto.a

installing libssl.a

installing libcrypto.so.1.0.0

installing libssl.so.1.0.0

Segmentation fault

make[1]: *** [Makefile:552: install_sw] Error 139

make[1]: Leaving directory '/media/build/sam/LibreELEC.tv/build.LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.2.5/openssl-1.0.2l/.x86_64-libreelec-linux-gnu'

Makefile:12: recipe for target 'image' failed

make: *** [image] Error 2

I don't really understand what is failing exactly, and Google isn't helping me at the moment.

Thanks

• Remove package and try again

Code
    1. PROJECT=Generic ARCH=x86_64 ./scripts/clean openssl
    2. PROJECT=Generic ARCH=x86_64 make

Better support for Amlogic devices: use CoreELEC

Blu-ray Disc Java menus support - forum thread, Github

my lamp addon (unofficial/community with limited support)
    my touchscreen support and instructions by Grruhn (now touchscreen addon exists in repository)

• Remove package and try again

Code
    1. PROJECT=Generic ARCH=x86_64 ./scripts/clean openssl
    2. PROJECT=Generic ARCH=x86_64 make

I've copied and pasted those commands, still the same issue, same output as before.

Is there anything else I can try?

• In packages/security/openssl/package.mk try adding

Code
    1. export MAKEFLAGS="-j1"

then remove package and build again.

If this would not help you will need to debug issue yourself.

Better support for Amlogic devices: use CoreELEC

Blu-ray Disc Java menus support - forum thread, Github

my lamp addon (unofficial/community with limited support)
    my touchscreen support and instructions by Grruhn (now touchscreen addon exists in repository)

• This is a bizarre issue.

I've isolated the issue to this particular line in the openssl Makefile:

make -f $here/Makefile HERE="$here" link-shared );

The output of which when run normally is:

GNU Make 4.2.1

Built for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

Copyright (C) 1988-2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <The GNU General Public License v3.0 - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation>

This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.

There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Reading makefiles...

Reading makefile '/media/build/sam/LibreELEC.tv/build.LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.2.5/openssl-1.0.2o/.x86_64-libreelec-linux-gnu/Makefile'...

Updating makefiles....

Segmentation fault

When I run the entire shell script from the Makefile manually, it succeeds, suggesting it's something environmental.

And when I modify the Makefile, running that particular line with the debugger, again it works fine. Yet again, and again, it always fails when building without modification.

The TL;DR version, I've compiled openssl ( and built Libreelec ) successfully, but there is something funny going on. Potentially a bug in Debian Stretch tools?

• Just for the record: You have to install libssl1.0-dev instead of libssl-dev on Debian Stretch.

• I have the exact same issue as OP, compiling 8.2.5 on Ubuntu Server 16.04.6 LTS. Doing vpeter's suggestion did not change anything even after wiping the entire build folder.

What is the final solution? I do not understand what sammyrc did when he said he ran the entire shell script from the Makefile manually. Can anyone help me with this?