Using Voice Search in Kodi

• Initially I thought voice control was a gimmick but after using it in Dish to search for programs I find it quite useful. I understand Kodi 18 will have voice control.

Will voice control work in LibreELEC or will Kodi need to be run as an app in Android for it to work?

Thanks

• Official Post

Android has native voice search API's that allow third-party apps like Kodi to hook into the underlying OS support. There's no equivalent for Linux so voice search will not work in LibreELEC (or any other distro).

• Thanks. I took a look at that. In fact I started setting it up but didn't finish because I wasn't sure it would work for me.

I just have a MX3 remote that has a microphone and a button I push to give commands. It works on the box when I've booted into Android instead of LibreELEC.

Will I be able to use the voice function MX3 remote in LibreELEC without any other equipment running?

Thanks

• Official Post

Nope. There is no audio input/mic support in LE (or Kodi) to capture voice and send it somewhere for processing. You need to use an external device like a Google Home or Amazon Echo .. which is what the other poster is doing.

• Thanks for clarifying before I put more time in this.

I don't think it would have worked anyway since I have satellite internet and I don't think it works with port forwarding.