Building kernel modules in armbian?

• Building kernel modules in armbian?

Newbie to tinker here (though not to linux).. tried lots of images out and the armbian ones were the ones i liked best at the moment. Unfortunately not all my USB hardware is supported so I thought I'd try and build the missing modules. (It's a wacom tablet I want to use, supported perfectly in most recent mainstream linuxes.)

That's where I got stuck. Is it possible? closest i found in the docs was
    https://docs.armbian.com/user-guide_advanced-features/#how-to-build-a-wireless-driver
    which starts (quote)
    armbian-config -> install kernel headers
    exit

I'd love to install kernel headers That's usually one of the first packages I install. But that's not a bash command with the -> thing unless > is a strange command line switch and not a redirect , also

$ sudo armbian-config
    doesn't give me the option to install kernel headers and I tried every menu item! And the most obvious attempt

$ sudo apt-get install linux-headers
    gives me a list of available packages, but apparently I need to specify the kernel version, and

$ uname -r
    tells me my kernel is 4.4.73-rockchip

which isn't one of the ones supported. So I am stuck. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

• Klojum

Approved the thread.
  • I cleaned up your text a bit. Lots of useless empty lines are not very inviting to read a text. :)

• The correct approach depends on whether the driver source code is intended to create a fully out of tree module or something that's either already in the kernel (and just needs an amended config) or are appended/patched into the kernel. In either case you start by creating a working LE image: Compile [LibreELEC.wiki]

Then you either tweak the kernel config, add patches to the linux kernel, or create a new driver package. We can't really instruct further without knowing what drivers you're interested in.

NB: You cannot build drivers on Armbian and just copy them over.