deactivate internal WiFi / activate external WiFi

• Hello everybody...

I've already found some topics here, but nowhere was the solution called.

I would like to deactivate the internal Wifi chip in my S905 box (KII Pro with LE 8.2.3.1) and use an external USB adapter for Wifi, as we know the internal Wifi chip is not very good.

That many WiFi sticks are supported by LE is already known, but I do not know how to do that in the console over SSH.

Does anyone have instructions or can tell how to proceed? The prerequisite is, of course, that the stick is recognized.

Thanks and regards,

pony

• Just "forget" the WiFi network on the embedded interface, via LE proprietary menu, and connect to your WiFi through the external dongle.

Simple as that, using it on a daily basis, since the internal WiFi is too week for my needs. ;)

• thanks for the link...

but how knows connmanctl which WiFi adapter to take? Or do I have to disable in the LE settings of the internal Wifi first and then proceed after the instructions?
    I mean to have read somewhere that only the internal Wifi must be disabled.

Pony

• Normally ehe onboard WLAN device will be wlan0 and the USB device wlan1, and the connections screen in LE settings identifies the network name and the device which scanned it. So connect to the right network with the right device and the job's done.

• many thanks for the answer. ;)

I still have a question about this:

how can I make sure that the internal adapter does not connect automatically and only the new adapter is used?

I mean, the internal adapter still knows the password to the SSID and will still connect automatically, right? Or not?
    How can I prevent this?

Edited once, last by Pony (April 12, 2018 at 7:07 AM).

• If you forget/never connect to your network via the embedded WiFi adapter (presumably - wlan0),

and connect only through the external dongle (presumably - wlan1),

chances suddenly, without any manual intervention, internal adapter to spontaneously connect properly to the network, or interface enumeration to change,

are little to none. ;)

• Hi everybody, wanted to give some feedback, because the WiFi adapter has arrived now.

In the LE settings it now shows both adapters, each SSID is displayed twice. You can see the signal strength well with the same SSID, which is the external / good adapter (WLAN0 / WLAN1), the adapter was integrated immediately and requires no further installation.

so very easy to understand well and extends the box now finally good wireless.

• There is a small limitation at the end ...

My KII Pro Box is permanently on, but sometimes loses the USB WiFi stick and shows me in the LE Settings only the internal Wifi and the SSIDs. When I restart the box, the USB Wifi stick is back and finds synonymous SSIDs. Unfortunately, I do not know why that could be and is stupid that the box is then no longer found on the IP of the USB Wifi stick. That is confusing and I have no idea why that could be that USB-Wifi eventually fails ...