Update / Change from Raybuntu Krypton to LibreElec Official?

• I have been using Raybuntu's Krypton builds for quite some time. I'd like to move back to the Krypton Official LE builds, but I'm not sure if that can even be done?

I tried putting the latest 8.2.4 tar file into the update folder, but on reboot it throws the following error:

Error: LibreELEC-Odroid_C2.aarch64-8.2.4.tar is not compatible with Odroid_C2.arm hardware - update cancelled

I suspect I might be out of luck for a simple update due to Raybuntu's krypton being some kind of arm fork? Or is there any easy way for me to get back into the main official releases?

• Official Post

If you run "touch /storage/.update/.nocompat" before updating (as advised on-screen) the update script will bypass the CPU architecture compat check, but I wouldn't advise doing that. Kodi is not designed for downgrades (only upgrades) so things like guisettings.xml from a newer version will be partially invalid on an older release and any binary add-ons installed will fail to run as they're compiled for arm not aarch64.

It will be better to take a backup, move it off box, clean install to the older release and then selectively restore specific things like add-on settings and thumbnails from the backup to speed up the rebuild time.

• Thanks for this info.

Would the 8.2.4 release from March 2018 be considered a downgrade and older than the November 2017 Krypton release from Raybuntu?

I'm starting to wonder if I should just wait for Leia or even goto kazq's January build? I'm kind of struggling to figure out what the pros/cons are for being on discontinued community builds like raybuntu and kazq versus going back to the main official releases. I started on raybuntu's releases a long time ago to get onto Krypton and I never looked back until now.

• Official Post

The version of Krypton hasn't changed since but there will be other changes. It's usually hard to tell with community releases due to all the hacks that get recycled and the dubious version numbering. It's not Leia though, which is the main thing, so apart from the different ARCH (aarch64 vs arm) which requires you to remove/reinstall any binary add-ons the Kodi settings will be compatible.