Is the following list of software supported (new to LibreELEC)?

• Hello,

I am new to LibreELEC. So new, I haven't even used it, but I am evaluating it to see whether it will fit my needs and I would like to ask for your help with that.

I am asking here — instead of trying myself — because I would like to know what is possible and what is not before investing in hardware (Raspberry Pi, etc.).

My goal is to essentially run Kodi and the TVHeadend backend on a Raspberry Pi 3 and LibreELEC seems a nice lightweight option. I require some more things, though, so my question is which of the following things are available/supported on LibreELEC and whether/how can they be installed. I have done a bit of research myself but couldn't find information for all of the things:

• Kodi and TVHeadend: Obviously, these are supported.
    • Python (preferably version 3.x) to execute scripts outside of Kodi. I think I've seen somewhere being mentioned that version 3.x is not available, and I could get away with 2.x but is there anything special that should be done or does it come preinstalled?
    • Python PIP, to install additional packages. Specifically, I need these two packages:
      • streamlink
      • appdirs
    • cron: Seems to be available but it's nice to get a confirmation
    • ffmpeg command line interface: Seems to be supported
    • socat
    • wget
    • gzip

Another option would be to test all of this myself on a virtual machine but I didn't manage to find whether that is possible or how to do it, preferably using VirtualBox. If anyone knows how, please point me to the instructions for that, as I couldn't find them myself.

Thanks in advance!

• Official Post

Kodi requires Python v2 (v3 in the future with v19) so it's not user selectable, and the OS is read-only (appliance like) so does not support Python PIP unless you start creating your own add-ons with modules you require included in them. AFAIK everything else apart from socat is available though. You may be able to find add-on code for that if you don't mind self-building.

• About python, I meant I need python on the OS, so I can use it outside of Kodi, e.g. for running some python script from TVHeadend, e.g. for EPG and other things, entirely unrelated to Kodi. That cannot be done via add-on. So, does the OS have any version of python?

• Thank you for the answers! It seems that I need more than LibreELEC for my use case. Even if I manage to work all this out, I might need something else in the future. I guess I should go with Raspbian then, where I'll be able to easily obtain more software, even if my requirements change.