Kodi doesn't start - Black screen

• Hi,

since a few days kodi sometimes doesn't start after booting and it ends with with a black screen. the libreelec logo is displayed, then the screen is black and when normally the kodi logo should be displayed there is nothing. after rebooting 2 or 3 times kodi starts, in very rare causes kodi starts at the first boot. i'm on the last libreelec and didn't made any changes (updates or settings). the problems also occurs when i turn on the tv before i start the htpc. is there any log file where i can find some error messages?

bunter fisch

• I tried it with an other usb drive several times. sometimes the problem occurs, sometimes not. i've tried the normal libreelec and also libreelec remix. both the same.

is there a log where i can find some information?

• also tried the onboard graphic output instead of the graphic card. the same here but there is an error (sometimes):

Code
    [ FAILED ] Failed to start xorg server.
    [ DEPEND ] Dependency failed for Fluxbox Windows Manager
    [ DEPEND ] Dependency failed for Unclutter hides the mouse pointer when you don't need it
    [ OK ] Reached target Graphical Interface
           Starting intel switch to full range
    [ OK ] Started Intel switch to full range
           Starting Kodi Media Center ...
    [ OK ] Started Kodi Media Center
    [ OK ] Reached target Kodi Mediacenter interface.

when i use the grapgic card the onboard graphic is disabled in uefi.

EDIT

maybe my 4k-tv makes problems? i downgraded to the libreelec 8.0.2 (because i used this version for several month in 2017 without any problems) and the reaction time of kodi are very slow, because the resolution is set to 4k. maybe newer versions have other problems with that?

Edited once, last by bunter fisch (April 18, 2018 at 4:13 PM).

• After the first boot i changed the resolution to 1920x1080. I didn't use LE with 4K, this is just the setting after the install. Maybe this is a problem.

the board is an asrock am1-h and i use a geforce gt710 graphic card.

• This could be the problem, but i use Libreelec remix. At the moment i install LE completely new and i will try and older version. It seems version under 8.1.x don't have this problem. first i'll try the same LE-remix-version i've installed for the very first time (from august 2017).

edit

i have also problems with ubuntu 16.04.4 (kernel 4.15), but not directly after boot. sometimes the screen is black, looks like 'power management' but i can't wake up the screen using mouse or keyboard. after a while the screen works. i hadn't his problem with ubuntu 16.04.3 (kernel 4.13). is the driver changed in the new kernel?

Edited once, last by bunter fisch (April 29, 2018 at 6:10 PM).

• I'll test it.

The main reason i use a graphic card instead the onboard hdmi is that with the onboard graphic the screen is black when i start tv and htpc in the wrong order (the old known problem). at that time the workarounds didn't work with that gpu (amd radeon r3; the board is a asrock am1h-itx). does this problem still exists. maybe i don't need the gt710 anymore.