Allo Digione

• The log looks OK to me.

Which AVR receiver are you using? Does it have some buttons to select the mode or configuration you could change?

It looks to me like the AC3 stream is sent correctly but for some reason your receiver doesn't detect it as AC3 and instead tries to output the compressed data as 2 channel PCM - which usually results in "terrible noise".

so long,

Hias

• The log looks OK to me.

Which AVR receiver are you using? Does it have some buttons to select the mode or configuration you could change?

It looks to me like the AC3 stream is sent correctly but for some reason your receiver doesn't detect it as AC3 and instead tries to output the compressed data as 2 channel PCM - which usually results in "terrible noise".

so long,

Hias

I'm not an expert...but in the log:

Code
    INFO: CAESinkALSA::InitializeHW - Your hardware does not support AE_FMT_FLOAT, trying other formats
    INFO: CAESinkALSA::InitializeHW - Using data format AE_FMT_S32NE

is it ok?

Anyway, I'm using a McIntosh MX132 and I had no problems with AC3 streams until now.

I try with an HDMI audio extractor, HDMI passthrough and it's all ok.

I don't understand why it shouldn't work with DigiOne.

Maybe I should use HDMI extractor and put away the DigiOne...

• The log lines you quoted are fine, this is when the audio device is opened for GUI sounds and you'll get the same messages for almost every device (float is rarely supported, usually only 16/24/32 bit).

The relevant lines are a bit down in the log.

These lines indicate DTS was detected and passthrough using 2-channel S16LE was properly activated:

A bit further down, when you switched to the AC3 stream, it looks fine as well:

It's rather puzzling, currently I have only 2 more ideas:

Maybe your receiver got "confused" because you played a DTS track before? Have you tried playing a audio or video file with just an AC3 track?

The allo digione driver doesn't handle the IEC/AES bits which, amongst other things, set the SPDIF channel status bits to indicate if it's a PCM audio or a compressed data stream. But then, IIRC, this channel status bit is mainly relevant to ancient DACs that only support PCM audio so they can mute the output if one (accidentally) tries to feed them AC3/DTS/... Modern stereo DACs and receivers that support AC3/... just look at the data stream as compressed data can be identified by unique headers in the stream. So it's puzzling why your receiver would detect a DTS stream flagged as audio in the status bits but not an AC3 stream.

It could well be that I'm missing something, so maybe someone else can chime in with more things to check.

so long,

Hias

• Anyone who could give a few pointers on how to activate the DigiOne board as output for sound in LibreELEC 2.8.5?

Basically, I'd like to be able to use spotify connect w/o having the TV on, but also use the DigiOne output when watching whatever I play from the RPi3.

So far Spotify works fine, but only when TV is on and through HDMI. I've tried selecting ALSA output (default bcm2835 alsa) in audio config and rebooted, but no changes. Should the DigiOne show up here in the list explicitly?

Since I'm new to this I'd be great if someone just have a quick guide for how to get this up and running.

Update: Did some more googling and seems like the missing piece was adding dtoverlay=allo-digione in the config.txt. Problem solved now, works exactly as I want it.

Edited 2 times, last by void (July 28, 2018 at 9:37 AM).

• Have you added "dtoverlay=allo-digione" to config.txt ?

Yeah, I figured this was the missing piece. Was just caught a bit off guard since I came from a Volumio installation where the DigiOne was among the options in the settings so no need to change any files there.

With Volumio I never managed to get both Kodi and Spotify to work side by side, LibreELEC vs Volumio: 1-0, so far.

• One more thing, is it possible to use the Kodi/LibreELEC as a BT audio receiver? I've enabled BT inside Kodi/LibreELEC and paired the pi3 with my Android phone, but when I connect the phone to the pi3 no audio is played, so I assume there are some more settings that need to be tweaked in order for this to work. Ideally I'd be able to stream music over BT from the phone to the pi3 and the Allo DigiOne board that's connected to my stereo receiver with S/PDIF.

If anyone has done this and can give me some pointers that'd be appreciated! Probably only thing I'm missing in the setup now, otherwise I gotta say LibreELEC works like a charm.

Update: Seems like the "Bluetooth Audio Device Changer" add-on is what I need - problem solved!

Edited 3 times, last by void (July 29, 2018 at 3:31 PM).