Can't boot generic LibreELEC installation - 'is your GPU supported?'

• Hello,

I recently built a new computer and was planning to run LibreELEC with it. The build uses an AMD Ryzen 2200G (CPU with integrated graphics) with no dedicated GPU. After installing LibreELEC, I receive an error message on boot stating "Failed to start xorg server, is your GPU supported?"

The image I used was LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.2.4.img.gz 8.2.4

I searched around the forums here a little bit for similar messages, and it seems like some people have had to use custom builds of LibreELEC that specifically include a driver for their CPU with integrated graphics. Is this likely the cause of my problem? If so, is there any plan to support AMD CPUs with integrated graphics?

Thanks very much!

Edited once, last by bsiver (March 26, 2018 at 4:34 PM).

• AMD Ryzen requires Linux kernel 4.15 at least AFAIK, and LibreELEC is not there yet. Milhouse is at 4.14.29.

Other people have done some building of their own with 4.15 with various fixes, and got Ryzen to work.

There is a small problem where LibreELEC prefers to stick to the Linux LTS kernels (4.14), while AMD Ryzen will require Linux 4.16 for proper workings... No decision has been made yet afaik.

• Got it - thanks for the info Klojum and vpeter. There is an item in the release notes for the image that vpeter linked about supporting AMD Raven CPUs. Is this one of the custom 4.15 builds you're referring to? I can give that a shot and report back.

• Please note that Milhouse's builds are to be considered 'bleeding edge', so something like pre-alpha. Anything can happen. :)

Each of his builds has release info, and afaik, he may test some test on the side of regular builds, but I cannot find any link to that at the moment.

But again, AMD Ryzen and Linux is still a work-very-much-in-progress. About the Linux kernel: v4.16-rc7 has been released, the Final build is likely next week. We'll have to wait on that before we want to do some proper testing with that kernel.

• Gotcha, and duly noted regarding the official release status of these builds. Thanks for all the info here, and I'll keep my eye out for word on an official 4.16 kernel build.