Does "AMD Radeon HD 6480G"​ meet the minimum video card requirements?

• Is "AMD Radeon HD 6480G" video card supported in LibreELEC?

About a year ago I switched from using OpenElec to LibreELEC and ever since I have not been able to display HDMI on an external monitor. I have been trying to run "Lakka". I've spent the past year debugging the issue with them (No longer able to Connect to Element ELCHW261 HDMI TV with Lakka-Generic.x86_64-2.0.img.gz · Issue #123 · libretro/Lakka-LibreELEC · GitHub) but am starting to wonder if this grapics card is incompatible with libreElec? Is the graphics card too old?

• The AMD Radeon HD 6480G is an integrated processor graphics card for entry level laptops. It was introduced in 2011 so it's quite old. I am not sure if it lost support with Libreelec.

• Is "AMD Radeon HD 6480G" video card supported in LibreELEC?

We just did a test with an new setup using VAAPI as graphics driver basis a couple of hours ago, and played it on a Core2Duo pc with an ATI HD6450 graphics card. It played quite nicely as you can tell from the screen shot below (don't pay too much attention to the HDR tag), so there may still be a future yet for AMD graphics. You'll be able to test it yourself when the new Milhouse build(s) are release, #321 and up.

Mind you, this is for LibreELEC 9.x, with Kodi 18 Leia. LibreELEC 8 (Krypton) is a closed chapter.

NDgrkqV.jpg

• Best I can suggest is to try the latest LE 9.0 build with 4.14.27 kernel, and also an experimental (though abandoned) 4.15.0 kernel.

4.14.27: LibreELEC Testbuilds for x86_64 (Kodi 18.0)
    4.15.0: LibreELEC Testbuilds for x86_64 (Kodi 18.0)

You could also try adding "radeon.dpm=0" to the kernel command line, as this has helped some users with AMD GPUs in the past.

Notebooks and laptops are not really the ideal target device for LibreELEC as these devices - with their switchable video, weak GPUs and other often niche and unsupported hardware (typically WiFi) - can be problematic.

I can't say for certain that your GPU is supported (it is 7 years old, and now pretty low spec) but it should be able to hardware accelerate 1080p H264/VC1/MPEG video. The question is whether you're able to switch the output from internal to external... this either needs a special driver (or configuration), or support in the kernel (LE 8 uses a much older 4.11.y kernel).

Although if all you want is a device to play video to an external HDMI display then maybe a Raspberry Pi3+ or similar ARM device will suffice (and be less of a problem). And probably use less power...