RPI3 Overheating with LE 8.2.3

• Hi,

I'm posting here in hope that someone can help. I have two PI3 with LE 8.2.3 (one is about 1 Year old, the other newly bought 2 weeks ago). The new one is clean installed, and I'm having overheating Issues with both of them but only sometimes. I can't say a 100% that it started with LE 8.2.3 but I haven't had any problems the time before.

Most of the time (including Playback) it runs at about 55 to 65°C which is ok. But in irregular time intervals CPU Load goes up and stays that way (when idle mostly), the PI runs at about 85°C (see Screenshot) and shows the overheating Symbol which is when I notice it. Rebooting it fixes that temporarily and Temp drops immediatelly to normal Ranges.

I can't quite figure out if it's some Addon (which is coincidentally running on both PIs) or the System itself. "Top" doesn't show anything I can see (see another Screenshot). I also have a Log, I turned the Debug Feature on when I saw it overheated again and let it run a few Minutes. If I forgot something please tell me and I try my best to add it.

Edit: Forgot to add few Details. I'm running 2 different Skins on both Devices. Case is open on Top and also the PI has passive cooling, plus both are in totally different Rooms.

Can anyone help ?(?

• Hey dmx,

I am experiencing the same problem as you. It seems to occur more if I play videos one after another.

Have you happen to remove the GUI FPS limit during playback? I am trying to track down the cause.

• Dmx

It's not a debug-enabled kodi.log file.

Please always use Pastebin.com - #1 paste tool since 2002! for log uploads to unburden our forum server.

Also use Imgur: The magic of the Internet for uploading screenshots. Thanks.

Please start with a clean installation of LE 8.2.4. And with clean I mean NO external repositories. See what your basis set up tells you in terms of temperatures. Then add repositories one by one, and double-check after each added repo what it does to the temperature.